cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Recent Smart Hub 2 Firmware upgrade version:v0.17.01.12312-BT

Shortly after receiving this upgrade, yesterday,  I noticed that the two Devolo mains network plugs that connect the two parts of my home network,  lost sync. And, despite, prodigous effort on my part today, I couldn't successfully get them to re-establish an enduring link between the two parts of the network. 

In desperation, I removed the pair of Devolo units (Dlan 1000 Duo +)  and substituted a 25 foot cat 6  network  cable to bridge the gap and . . . the connection was re-established at 1 Gbps (Full speed of the Smart Hub/computer) Similarly, disconnecting the cat 6 cable and substituting a pair of Devolo units from a previous generation, the dlan 500AV plus, established the connection, at near full speed (480Mbps+) and maintained it.

The Dlan 500's established the link over the mains very quickly, whereas the dlan 1000's took several presses of the sync button on each unit before a connection was made and, even then , it was well less than half speed and was lost within a short space of time.

After doing some testing in various configurations, with the Smart Hub 2 connected and disconnected, and with the dlan 1000s co-located next to each other on the same trailling socket and, later,  remote from  each other, it was clear something was degrading the signal produced by the dlan 1000s and that is degradation increased with distance of mains cable run and the presence of the BT Smart Hub.

So, in summary, on the 30th June, the two higher speed Dlan 1000s were fine, achieving connection speeds of 700-800 Mbps between the two parts of my network, then they suddenly crash after this Firmware upgrade  on the 1st July and can't be restored to a usuable function. Yet the lower speed Dlan 500av + are OK.

No other variables in my home system have changed during this period. All the cabling is cat 6 and the Dlan 1000s were usually inserted directly into double sockets which, although on separate circuits, both emanate from the same fusebox. The Dlan 1000s are just a year old from new.

I  suspect that Imay  have fallen victim to some preliminary effect associated with introduction the G.Fast negative effect on powerline plugs - I'm on the as was BT Infinity 1 service, 50/10, (Impacted line group ?). 

Is it possible to roll-back the  Smart Hub 2 firmware to the previous version - as usual,even though G.Fast is slated as being available in my area,  I have no requirement for a faster service, or the video, sports  or on-line gaming capability that G.Fast would offer.

N

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Recent Smart Hub 2 Firmware upgrade version:v0.17.01.12312-BT

You cannot roll back the hub firmware. It is automatic and there is no manual method

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

OK. 

I'll try using some earlier BT Hubs I've got to see if that makes a difference.

N.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

PM: Plugged-in both DLAN 1000 units into adjacent slots in a trailing socket and, using the same Smart Hub 2, both dlan 1000 sync'd without me having to hit the  sync buttons ?

And the Devolo cockpit software is showing data transmission rates of approx 400MBPS each way.

Stark contrast to yesterday.

This may suggest, that the fault was in the Devolo units  and that once values become corrupted or components become overheated that it takes an overnight unplugged to right everything.

Background room temperature today is little different than it was over the preceding two days . . 27C

And the dlan 500 AV + units have been running fine overnight and today.

I've noticed that whilst the dlan 500 AV's have ventilation panels on their bodies the dlan 1000's do not, so that I measured a significant temperature difference between the two types of unit when running i.e. dlan 500s =33c and dlan 1000 41-42c. Intuitively, one might have thought that the high data rate units would benefit more from cooling measures . . . 

Yet the motherboard in my PC is running at 48 c and the graphics board 50 c .

Thinking of other contributors to the fault . . . there's nothing conclusive.

I also noticed that mains supply frequency had 22 excursions outside the legal range  (49.70 - 50.3 Hz) on the day of the firmware upgrade, 1/07/2020 (averaging 49.996 Hz on that day), whilst the following two days were reported as having only 10 and 12 excursions only, with averages of 50.004 and 50.008 Hz). 

And , by the look of it, today's noise and attenuation margins on the incoming landline (Taken from the Smart Hub Technical log) are OK (i.e. at least 6 db):-

Noise margin:17.3 / 8.4

Line attenuation:7.8 / 14.5

Signal attenuation:7.7 / 17.9

And quiet line , 17070. . . is.

The compressor on my refigerator can occasionally have a dirty start-up, which momentarily blanks the computer screen, but nothing like that has been experienced over the last 3 days.

So inconclusive results.

N.

0 Ratings