cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Recent Storms and Speed Drop Off...

During the recent storms we had multiple power cuts. This has had  an adverse affect on my download speed. I was getting 52-55Mbps pre-storm now I am only getting 41Mbps.

Will this "retrain" over a few days and my speed return or do I need to contact BT about this?

I have attached my DSL Status page (from a Draytek Vigor 2766):

2022-02-26-0836.png

Chris.
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Recent Storms and Speed Drop Off...

It could be the power cuts have caused problems with the router. Have you restarted it /done a reset? Only try this once to avoid upsetting DLM  further  

try a quiet line test (dial 17070 on a corded phone). Report any crackling on the line to BT as a telephone fault. 

It could be that DLM (dynamic line management) has got upset with the power cuts and it might resolve with a period of stability. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 3 of 6

I did consider the router might have been the issue. So on Sunday I did swap it out for an old TP-Link VR900 that I have. The speed was similar to the Draytek, but I left it until yesterday when I swapped them back.

I did the Quiet Line test on the master socket and the one extension I have and both were clear. No noise I could hear.

I think I will just leave it now for a couple of weeks and see if it returns.

I ran the BT Wholesale Speed test and it returned: "IP Profile for your line is 40.1 Mbps".

What sets the IP Profile? Can it change if connections improve?

Am I correct in thinking VDSL is always Interleaved? No point asking BT to switch it to FAST?

Back in the day I used to get 60Mbps, then COVID happened and every man and his dog started working from home and the speed dropped 55-52Mbps (my neighbour saw the same drop too). Another green cabinet appeared next to the one that went in when Infinity first arrived here, so there could be a lot more competition for the resources too.

Get everyone back to the office and it might improve again. LOL.

Chris.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

your profile is set by your connection speed so get a faster connection speed and profile will increase accordingly.  the DLM controls whether interleaved/fast automatically

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 6

I have recently read that Homeplug modules can cause interference with VDSL2. My set up I have a Solwise Homeplug in a wall socket. It is a passthrough type so a surge protected five socket extension lead is plugged into it. The Vigor 2766 router is one of the occupied sockets (the others being a NAS, Raspberry PI, and a Switch). The Ethernet cable runs from the Homeplug to the 2766. The Homeplug is about 1m from the 2766. The phone socket is about 20-30cm from the Homeplug.

The router has been running for 140 odd hours with no change to the speed. This morning, while viewing the DSL stats, the router rebooted and reconnect slightly faster (only a few Kbytes).

I do have a long Cat 5 Ethernet cable. I could move the Homeplug to the other end of the room. To do so I would need to power off the router though. Is it worth investigating this as an option?

The last DSL check the FEC S was 131942. 

Chris.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Seems to have recovered (well to pandemic levels anyway):

Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME    DS Actual Rate          : 51088000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 20000000 bps    DS Attainable Rate      : 51251256 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 20962646 bps    DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast    DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1    NE Current Attenuation  :       15 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        6  dB    DS actual PSD           :     6. 6 dB    US actual PSD        :     6. 6  dB    NE CRC Count            :      410       FE CRC Count         :        3    NE ES Count             :        1       FE  ES Count         :        0    Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        2    ITU Version[0]          : 00000000       ITU Version[1]       : 00000000    VDSL Firmware Version   : 12-3-2-3-0-5   [with Vectoring support]    Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0    Test Mode               : DISABLE   -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------    Far Current Attenuation :        0 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB    CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 544eb206    DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

Chris.
0 Ratings