Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 1 of 52

Recommended 3rd party AC modem/router for use with BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

hi all. i am sure this has been asked before but bearing in mind the advancements made and the speed of those advancements, i wonder what other members would recommend to take the place of the BT HH5 and/or the HH6 now? i am looking at getting something that will be future proof, even if for only maybe 6-12 months, so one of the latest AC modem/routers, with decent wifi signal (i live in a two storey semi-detached house) i assume would be the thing. i have no idea on the cost but hope to not have to pay over about £120ish and get something that is easy to set up.

i would welcome any assistance offered and links perhaps for me to check out any recommended items so as to make an informed decision.

Many TIA

0 Ratings
51 REPLIES 51
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 52

Re: Recommended 3rd party AC modem/router for use with BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

Have a look at TP-Link VR600 and VR900 or ASUS DSL AC68U. Links to commercial sites are not allowed under forum rules.

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 52

Go to solution
Anything with a broadcom chipset really.

Billion are a good compromise between cost and performance.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 4 of 52

Go to solution

many tnx for the reply and info.

bearing in mind the rules that stop links to commercial sites, by which i assume thats sites that are selling the items, is it possible to post links that show the set up of, say, the VR900?

showing me to be perhaps a bit on the stupid side, what info must i use if plugging in, again say the VR900, to take the place of the official BT equipment to get access? ie, i assume the info on the BT card becomes irrelevant and different address needs to be used (not 192.168.1.254?) to access the 3rd party router, along with a different username/password?

dont mean to sound ignorant but want to know how to access the new router when purchased.

tnx again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 52

Go to solution
That's what google is for 🙂

All routers come with set up manuals, there's plenty info on the web, especially here, if you get stuck.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 52

Go to solution

The TP Link devices have a quick setup option, all that needs to be done is select BT VDSL as supplier and enter homehub@btbroadband.com as username with BT as password. There is an emulator here where you can have a play. Select the quick setup tab and you will see how simple it is.

Guru
Message 7 of 52

Go to solution
If you don't mind spending £150+ (it's worth it in my view) get yourself a Billion Bipac 8900AX R2. It's future proof for everything that BT is starting to adopt, G.INP and Vectoring ... other modem/routers will almost probably get firmware updates anyhow, but by the fact that Billion has it covered already tells you something. It also has adjustable SNRm as well, but not on Infinity connections, a Broadcom chipset to match Huewei dslams, dual wifi channels (at once), a very complex set of menus ... but also foolproof wizards for novices to use during setup. When I bought mine and connected it for the first time, it knocked 1.5db off the margin and synced up 4.5mbits higher than it does normally. That's a good dslam sync. And you can also connect using EWAN and mobile phone setup as well as wireless and ethernet. Also has USB port. 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 8 of 52

Go to solution

many tnx to both of you for the help and advice. i'll sort out the TP-Link VR900 and see how i get on setting it up. hopefully, will be ok but equally hopefully will receive further advice if needed from you guys.

tnx again

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 9 of 52

Go to solution

your contribution hadn't appeared when i wrote my last post, so sorry for the delay in responding. before looking further at the TP-Link VR900, i will look at the Billion Bipac 8900AX R2 you suggest. however, maybe just me but it sounds a bit more complicated and you use terms i know nothing about. better to be open than try to bluff through this stuff, in my opinion and dont want to make out i know what i dont.

will try to find the setup manual for both the suggested modem/routers and go from there

tnx guys, much appreciate the help

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 10 of 52

Go to solution

after becomming seriously ill and having to spend many weeks in hospital, i still haven't changed my HomeHub 5 to the TP link router i bought. before i attempt to do so, is there any changes that have taken place that will prevent me from logging in to the new router? i see that the username of:

homehub@btbroadband.com

has been changed on my Homehub 5 to

username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

is the password still the same as:

password: BT

or has that been changed also? is there anything else that has changed, for instance, is there a 64 digit code or something similar anywhere now? concerned that i wont be able to get access with the TP Link router connected instead of the HomeHub 5 and this stuff is not my forte.

would appreciate any help given

Many TIA

0 Ratings