Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 52

Re: Recommended 3rd party AC modem/router for use with BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

It the

TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, TalkTalk, EE and PlusNet Fibre) 2 USB, 3.0 Ports, UK Plug (Archer VR900 V2)

As you originally said, and the one i gave you the link to the spec.

If you do not want to spend that sort of money, and are not worried about having AC1900 wireless, as only certain devices support it, you can get a simpler VDSL modem/router for less than £35 (Was £29.99 in Argos), then this one works just fine.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 for about £35 or less. Very good value for money, and readily available locally, so easy to return if you are not happy with it.

There is a review here http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm

There is a quick setup wizard.

Login details

Broadband Username   bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password bt

Even though you are not using a home hub.

If you have BT Vision and use the extra Internet delivered channels, then I am not sure whether this supports multicast, without me delving into the user manual.

The more expensive one may not solve wireless range issues, so a cheaper one, with the addition of an extra wireless hotspot, may be a better choice.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 22 of 52

Go to solution

The TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 supports multicast.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 23 of 52

Go to solution

many tnx for the further info, Keith_Beddoe.

that is certainly a cheap unit and will no doubt do the trick. my only reasons for changing from the Homehub 5 were that it is not particularly stable, with auto reboots a common occurance (did so whilst out 2 days ago and kept connecting to Ilminster, Somerset exchange for some reason!) and wanted to try to future proof with a router with AC connection.

asking a dumb question perhaps, the log in details you give, are they used when first plugging the new router in or do i start with whatever the router says and then change them to the BT details?

Login details:

Broadband Username   bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password bt

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 24 of 52

Go to solution

Just follow thw quick installation guide and you can't go wrong.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 25 of 52

Go to solution

ok. tnx for the reply, pippincp.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim wrote:

many tnx for the further info, Keith_Beddoe.

that is certainly a cheap unit and will no doubt do the trick. my only reasons for changing from the Homehub 5 were that it is not particularly stable, with auto reboots a common occurance (did so whilst out 2 days ago and kept connecting to Ilminster, Somerset exchange for some reason!) and wanted to try to future proof with a router with AC connection.

Some reboots on home hubs are forced by BT. This cannot happen with a 3rd party router, as BT do not remote manage them.

The cheaper unit I described will prove whether that was the case, as that is what others had found.

There is no advantage in using a higher wireless specification, as you are limited by the speed of your Internet connection.

Devices will always be back compatible with the earlier standards, and the 100Mbs wireless speed of the TD-W9970 N300 is more than you are going to get with BT Infinity.

Unless you have lots of devices sending high speed data between each other, over wireless, then there is no need for a high spec router.

My advice would be to get the TD-W9970 N300, locally if possible and a good price. See how it performs and see if it disconnects. The review is quite good.

It has external aerials, so wireless coverage should be good.

It you still have poor signal in the far side of the house, then something like the BT hotspot 600 kit would overcome that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 27 of 52

Go to solution

many tnxforyet further info, Keith_Beddoe. that sounds like a plan. i have to say that although i have a 'modern' (70's) semi detached house with just one upstairs floor, wieless coverage isn't always as good as i need or would like. it is a much cheaper option, however, to try the all-in-one modem/router you suggest, so will check it out and see if it is available locally.

i'll post back if i am successful in getting it and if we can set it up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 52

Go to solution

Wireless range depends on ERP (Effective Radiated Power). All wireless routers are limited to 100mW power output, so its important to make effective use of this small power limitation.

Internal aerials like those on the home hub, are not as effective as external aerials, as power gets absorbed within the internal circuitry.

Good third party routers have two or more external aerials, which ensure that nearly all or the signal is transmitted to air, with minimal loss.

So you may find coverage is better. My house is early 80s built, and I use two separate wireless access points, one down and one up.

I do not use the wireless on my old home hub 1 (ADSL).

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 29 of 52

Go to solution

hi again. not able to get the cheap modem/router locally so still considering going down the original route and get the more expensive TP-Link modem/router i was supposed to have bought originally. out of curiosity, seeing that there is a version 1 and a version 2 of this TP-Link AC1900 [£10-£20 difference], a) what are the differences and b) is the v2 worth the extra money over the v1? i am assuming yes, but just wanted to check with you learned people

also, out of curiosity,

is this or the v1 ok for use with a VPN? if neither of these are, which road is then recommended so as to still use VPN, as is needed?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 52

Go to solution

Hmm, not aware of different versions. However, I would suggest the VR600 would probably suffice for your needs unless you have an overwhelming need for very high wireless speed. Wireless speed is really the only difference between the various VR models and will only be of use for streaming from a NAS within your LAN as internet speed will be much lower anyway and will be the limiting factor.

0 Ratings