Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 31 of 52

Re: Recommended 3rd party AC modem/router for use with BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

Your local catalogue store will have them as it is still available at £30.

The differnce between V1 & V2 of the other router is slight differences in chipsets. Performance remains the same.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 32 of 52

Go to solution
although my house was built in the early 70's, as i said earlier, for whatever reason, wireless connection/speed is often not only quite slow but sometimes almost non-existent. i use a Hymax tv box upstairs and my wife uses a pc and tablet upstairs too, so wi-fi is quite important. i'm sure it's the Homehub 5, so one of the reasons i want to change to something better, more reliable, but VPN use is required.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim wrote:
although my house was built in the early 70's, as i said earlier, for whatever reason, wireless connection/speed is often not only quite slow but sometimes almost non-existent

Probably due to foil backed plasterboard, or solid brick walls.

Personally I would go for a cheaper router, and simply add an extra hotspot upstairs. VPNs are usually software based, so the router would not make any difference.

Before you add a hotspot, just see what a cheaper router with external aerials does.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 34 of 52

Go to solution

You'll have no problem with VPN use from any of the routers suggested to you.

Do you have a VPN provider yet? If not I can recommend a good one at under £50 per year but it will have to be via PM as we aren't allowed to post links to commecrcial sites.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 35 of 52

Go to solution
tnx for the offer pippincp, i have one already atm. if i remember, i'll PM you when the subscription is due and get your suggestion, if you dont mind
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 36 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim wrote:
tnx for the offer pippincp, i have one already atm. if i remember, i'll PM you when the subscription is due and get your suggestion, if you dont mind

Not at all.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 37 of 52

Go to solution
am still looking to see where i can get the cheaper modem/router you suggested, Keith_Beddoe. not rejecting your suggestion and am very grateful to you for doing that. the one thing i thought would be beneficial of having the more expensive one is the dual band. with 2x tv boxes+2x tv on the go, 2x pc, 2-3mobiles and at least 1x tablet, things can get a bit congested!
0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 38 of 52

Go to solution
many tnx
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim wrote:
am still looking to see where i can get the cheaper modem/router you suggested, Keith_Beddoe. not rejecting your suggestion and am very grateful to you for doing that. the one thing i thought would be beneficial of having the more expensive one is the dual band. with 2x tv boxes+2x tv on the go, 2x pc, 2-3mobiles and at least 1x tablet, things can get a bit congested!

Two things to consider. How many devices can actually connect to the 5G band, and are they close enough, as 5G does not go very far. Dual band is of no advantage unless you have nearby devices that can connect to it.

How many devices are connected by Ethernet, or can be connected by Ehernet, and how many are wireless connected?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim wrote:
am still looking to see where i can get the cheaper modem/router you suggestedted!

Argos  572/8882 ?  £29.99 local collection if in stock.

0 Ratings