Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 52

Re: Recommended 3rd party AC modem/router for use with BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

It hasn't changed, the part before @btbroadband.com can be anything, homehub/bthomehub, either will work. Password isn't actually needed but many routers insist you enter one.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 12 of 52

Go to solution
many tnx for the update info, licquorice. will give things a try. i was expecting something like a 64 bit encryption key being added while i've been incapacitated!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 52

Go to solution

No, authentication is against your phone number hence generic login details.

P S  Hope you are fully recovered.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 14 of 52

Go to solution
many tnx for further info and the good wishes. atm it appears i am gonna have to take meds for the duration. thats the problem when you have lung disease and then have all the luck going and manage to get in the way of pneumonia! some of us have all the luck! seeing consultant again end of this week to see what other good news i can get.
0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 15 of 52

Go to solution

well, i appear to have made a mess up. i got a TP-Link router and it appears to have no modem in it! i got an AC 1900 from Amazon and asked a friend of mine (a Microsoft Network Engineer) to do the install, as i was still a bit uncertain doing it myself. even from what i read on the instructions that a modem isn't needed, he tells me that without a separate modem, the router is useless. can someone confirm that i have indeed screwed up royally here, in which case i have to try to get it exchanged. just to add, there was no phone cable in the box to go from the router to the BT box inside the house and the one that is connected to the Homehub 5 is, apparently, the wrong one. i, of course, dont have any other cable! the mistake i think i have made may be that as the fibre connection only goes to the cabinet and not to my home, a modem is required. it doesn't say that on the advert though, as far as i can see.

can someone please correct me as the advert on Amazon still says:

TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, TalkTalk, EE and PlusNet Fibre) 2 USB, 3.0 Ports, UK Plug (Archer VR900 V2)

Many TIA

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim

You have the right one, and there should have been an RJ11 DSL cable in the box, unless it had already been opened before you received it, as it may have been a return. Did you try the RJ11 cable from the HH5?

Was it sold as new, and did it look like it had been opened? Double check the inside of the box, as it may be tucked in a partition at the bottom.

The specification is here.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-2_Archer-VR900.html#specifications

And says

VDSL2 Standards ITU-T G.993.2, Up to 17a profile (POTS)
ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)
ADSL Standards Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2,
ITU-T G.992.1(G.DMT),
ITU-T G.992.2(G.Lite),
ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs),
ITU-T G.995.1
ADSL2 Standards ITU-T G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis),
ITU-T G.992.4 (G.lite.bis)
ADSL2+ Standards ITU-T G.992.5

DSL socket on the left.

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 17 of 52

Go to solution

hi Keith. the only cable is the one from router to computer tower. it was in a box sealed with some sort of shrinkwrap. there was/is no cable to go from router to BT socket.

unfortunately, the only phonecable i have is the one that connects the Homehub 5 to the BT socket, the one with the small plug each end. tried that and the new router wont connect to the internet because of not having either a built in modem or no fibre to the home.

having just looked through my order, i found the info for the actual item and think it is a mistake on my part as there seems to be 2 of these routers but are slightly different. the info i gave previously is not for the router i have.

and the router is:

TP-Link AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Cable Gaming Router, 1 GHz Dual-Core Processor, USB 3.0, 2.0 Ports, Beamforming Technology, UK Plug (Archer C9)

sorry for giving incorrect info previously. was unintended. i dont know if i'll be able to get a refund as the return time has gone, so looks like i'm gonna be stuck with this one and have to pay out for another one! it was sold as new. not happy! what a plum i am!! however, the info about the fibre or the cable is not on the advertisement page for the router that i can see. dont know if that will help me in getting a refund or not.

so, moving on, if i have to buy another, the router i mistakenly mentioned a couple of posts ago, that you replied to Keith, will be the right one for me this time? has it a built in modem and not need to have a fibre connection to the home, a fibre connection to the cabinet being good with the original copper from the cabinet to the home being fine? is this router still the recomended one to get?

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 18 of 52

Go to solution

You could buy a BT Modem Huawei Model b from a well known auction site - about £35.

Easy set up and should work a treat with your router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 52

Go to solution

@Prettygrim wrote: the router i mistakenly mentioned a couple of posts ago, that you replied to Keith, will be the right one for me this time? has it a built in modem and not need to have a fibre connection to the home, a fibre connection to the cabinet being good with the original copper from the cabinet to the home being fine? is this router still the recomended one to get?

I thought it was odd, but as you say, you have the wrong one.

The one that you originally said, and the one I gave the specifications for, would be the correct one.

Otherwise you will have to obtain a separate modem as mentioned by @stevebrass

0 Ratings
Prettygrim
Contributor
Message 20 of 52

Go to solution

yes guys. my stupid mistake. i must have been on something at the time, like idiot pills, ha ha. the only issue with getting a separate modem (and tnx for the suggestion, stevebrass), is the lack of space. i might bite the bullet and get the correct router, knowing i can fit it where it needs to go.

sorry for the misleading info i gave earlier guys. was obviously unintentional but think it is still annoying that the full info isn't on the Amazon listing. had it been, hopefully i wouldn't have made the mistake.

i'll let you know what happens when i receive the proper one.

just to make doubly sure, the one you say i need, the one i gave info for a couple of posts earlier and that you gave the link to, Keith_Beddoe, is the correct one and doesn't need 'fibre to the home' or a separate modem, correct? dont want to waste another weeks pension, ha ha!!

appreciate your help and patience

0 Ratings