cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulfb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Recontracted infinity 1 but no speed change still under 17mb

this has been asked before but I recontracted infinity 1 expecting my average current speed of 16.8 to at least get into the low 20s but so far no change so how long if ever does it take for any change to take effect. Before I  recontracted BT made me a special offer to move to infinity 2, I wish given my maximum speed!!

Here are the stats from the hub were my max data rate shows as 26.7 but I never get beyond 16.8 even from the master socket maybe because my IP profile is fixed at 17.42.  When I first got infinity a few years ago it started around 25 but over the years as more people have come onboard seems to have dropped and eventually who knows may end up at standard ADSL speed which will be cheaper I guess.

Any ideas how long I should wait ?

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068342+NQ34431744
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 20/02/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 06:53:21
6. Data rate:2291 / 18000
7. Maximum data rate:2887 / 26707
8. Noise margin:6.6 / 13.1
9. Line attenuation:42.5 / 29.1
10. Signal attenuation:31.4 / 24.8
11. Data sent/received:76.3 MB / 1.7 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Recontracted infinity 1 but no speed change still under 17mb

You're on a banded profile, usually due to an unstable connection. Recontracting was never going to amke any difference to your connection speed as you weren't even close to the original Infinity 1 cap of 40meg.

ADSL probably would be quicker, but the speed likely slower.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

your ip profile is based on your conenction speed not the other way round  so ip profile is not fixed but to get it higher you need a faster conenction speed

have you tried using the test scket with a filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

@imjolly wrote:

have you tried using the test scket with a filter?

Won't help with a banded line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

No but it could alieviate a dropping connection. If the max data rate changes dramatically then it would also point to probably internal wiring issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Agreed, but I was just managing the OP's possible expectations of an immediate increase in speed.

0 Ratings
Paulfb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Same speed in test socket with a filter

0 Ratings
Paulfb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

No change even using test socket and fillter still 16.8. So basically first was offered Infinity 2 uipgrade as a special offer which I could not even get anywhere near then when recontracting told would get a speed boost when looks as though I cannot so a case of BT miselling but now locked into BT for another year although even if I moved to another supplier I would get the same speed. When I first had infinity it was in the 25-26 range so is a big hit over the years. Even the ADSL checker gives a range of 20-27 for my telephone number and impacted is 19 so I do not even get that so can only assume there is an issue between the cabinet and the cable coming into the house from outside

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

I didn't expect your connection speed to get better as banded but your attainable may improve and more important you conenction may be more stabe in test socket - but you need to leave it there to find out not just try it and then go back to where you were

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Paulfb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

My connection has generally always been stable just a bit annoyed that the retention team gave me a false impression that in recontracting I should see a performance boost even if only 5mb. Obviously seems I may not see that ever so I guess will now as a result of being misled will have to wait out 12 months and move supplier even though I will never it seems get much above the bottom end of infinity 1 so maybe worst case maybe back to ADSL even though must be all of half mile from the exchange.

0 Ratings