Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

Recontracting has caused a disconnection and drop in speed

Go to solution

Message for Mod Neil (or anyone else who can advise me in his absence as I know he's away till Monday).

This thread may also be of interest to other people who may find that recontracting with BT for a new term or service might cause an interruption or change to their service as a result.

I recontracted with BT for another 18 months yesterday on Superfast Fibre Plus and told the contract would start sometime after midnight. Well, after being totally stable for nearly 7 days at 39888, my broadband connection dropped out for 625995 seconds at around 4.37am and on the log it said "Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)". It's now gone back to a lower speed than it has been working happily at for a week. Back to what I was trying to get improved. It's now 34330 (which is even lower than what it was capped at for months before my fault was fixed)  as opposed to 39790/40000 it's been at all week. To confirm this was related to the recontracting, I got an email at 5.08 am saying congrats my service is ready!

What's happened here? Why has the speed been reduced again?

By the way - the way this board is run and the personalised help that the Gurus, Sages and Mods provide is one of the reasons that, despite my final offered recontracting price being a bit higher than their main competitors, I recontracted with BT. I just hope that now I have recontracted for another 18 months that my speeds increase again, back to what they were stable at at around 40mbs.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Recontracting has caused a disconnection and drop in speed

Go to solution

can you post stats from your netgear please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Hi - sure - I'm using the Smart hub again as I was having such good speeds and no drop outs and didn't want to upset things by changing the hub again.  Recontracting has done just that.

TODAY:
Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

27-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 8 Hours 13 Minutes 9 Seconds

Data rate:

6.96 Mbps / 34.33 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

6956 / 41717

Noise margin:

6 dB / 6.2 dB

Line attenuation:

21.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

12387 MB Uploaded / 61775 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

YESTERDAY BEFORE RECONTRACTING

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 09.21.41.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

the good thing is the attainable is slightly higher than before so hopefully just maintaining conenction the speed should go back to where it was  I can't see how recontracting would cause a reset  I suppose it could be just a coincidence

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you. I do hope you're right. When I've recontracted before, the agents always have said that it's like starting a new contract and that it starts like the  first 10 days of a brand new contract would do. Only they normally start higher and drop gradually till they find a level it can maintain without dropping out...but this has started low. I've never seen my speeds go up before; only down.  I'm convinced this is related as my new service started within half an hour of the drop out. 

But ...here's hoping 

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

I know I'm jumping the gun somewhat but I really don't have a good feeling about this. I just know it wasn't a coincidence that the router dropped as I got recontracted and that the router seems to have got stuck at the previously lower (banded) speeds rather than the new speeds I got after the reset of DLM after my fault was fixed the other week. I really don't think many people go up to higher speeds from an initial lower speed do they? It really is normally the other way around isn't it? 

I'm just frustrated becasue I thought my problems with this were finally over. Now I'm back to square one with my speed. I know 34288 isn't a bad speed but it's not what I've been getting for the past week (with no drop outs). 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Burmey,

I've been going over the recontract order and I've noticed that your line profile has been changed from a max possible speed of 55 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up to a profile of a max possible speed of 80 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. As you weren't achieving the highest possible speeds on the up to 55 Mbps profile then you may not notice a difference in speed. However; you may notice a few more problems over the next few days as we try to calculate the best speeds your line can support on the new profile. I've emailed @NeilO to make him aware for when he's next back in office.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you so much. Yes, I figured it was unlikely to go up; I just didn't expect it to go down. 

@DanielSwrote:

Hi @Burmey,

I've been going over the recontract order and I've noticed that your line profile has been changed from a max possible speed of 55 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up to a profile of a max possible speed of 80 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. As you weren't achieving the highest possible speeds on the up to 55 Mbps profile then you may not notice a difference in speed. However; you may notice a few more problems over the next few days as we try to calculate the best speeds your line can support on the new profile. I've emailed @NeilO to make him aware for when he's next back in office.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@Burmey  That explains it - the recontracting should not have caused a reset but as you must have agreed a package change resulting in the 80mb profile then that is reason for reset

hopefuly speed will pick up after DLM settles

Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

The package was the new package equivalent to what I was on before - they've changed all the packages and given them new names - my old package doesn't exist anymore so they recontracted me on the closest equivalent. I didn't really have a say in it and people should be aware that changing can do this. 

I'll be annoyed if it doesn't pick up - no sign of it yet. Still exactly the same as yesterday. 

0 Ratings