Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Recontracting has caused a disconnection and drop in speed

Go to solution

Once your line has settled down again G.INP should kick in  and give you a speed increase.

0 Ratings
hasey66
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution
There’s a theme running through this board of recontracts onto BT Plus resulting in lower speeds almost immediately on activation. Whilst one other contributor has increased from 36 to 44 Im stuck at 38/39 down from a max of 49 a couple months ago - upload speeds have increased but that’s not the point - the advertising is misleading ! All I hear is just wait for DLM to settle down and see the speeds settle back down to previous levels - not good enough so far as I’m concerned.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

@hasey66

if you are having problems with your conenction then start your own thread and see if forum members can help you and failing that the mods will try and help  that way you not get replies to your post confused with the post originator

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

What's G.INP please? Learning all the time here...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution
Some reading https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Burmey,

I am sorry for the alarm caused here Smiley Sad nowadays broadband speeds have become one of those things whereby nobody likes to see negative changes and any drops are met with concern and worry that they wont come back.  I am the exact same with my connection speed at home, all whopping 5MB worth Smiley Surprised

Just to add to what Danny has written and the good advice posted by others.  A mere re-contract will not have an affect on your broadband speed.  However any changes to the broadband profile can have an effect. 

The reason for this is if an order is made to your broadband connection which requires a profile reset, so in your case going from a 55MB profile to a 80MB profile, your profile will be returned to default values in terms of error correction and noise margins.  DLM will then monitor the line to establish the best and most stable profile.

So for example, if your connection was running at 3dB SNRm with interleaving turned off, the recent order would reset your connection and you would once again begin with 6dB SNRm and interleaving applied.  This will have an impact on your speed.  The good news though, is that your line should recover to what it was achieving before, once DLM has time to monitor and apply more optimal settings.

The most important aspect of this is that your connection remains stable.  Avoid at all costs rebooting your router to try and force your line back to where it was, more often than not it will have the opposite effect.

Cheers

Sean 

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Great post. Thanks.

Bit of advice needed tho - if I want to change my router, what's the best way to do it to avoid upsetting the DLM monitoring? Neil advised to turn it off with the on off switch first, which I'll do, but in terms of other advice...should I leave it a couple of weeks until stable or do it now so it has a chance to stabilize or what? I just want the 5ghz to be on more channels than BT allows on its hub and a wider coverage around my home for the 5ghz - the TP Link AC1600 that I bought was better at this than the Smart Hub 6. Overall I prefer the Smart Hub, but the range just isn't as good as the TP Link. 

Or would I be better off just getting a range extender and keeping the Smart Hub - any you recommend?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

I would advise leaving it a couple of weeks to stabalise as you don't want DLM thinking there is a problem. After it has stabalised DLM won't act on one random disconnection.