cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Reduced Broadband speed on Fibre 100

Hi there.

I've had BT broadband for many years and have had Fibre 100 for a couple of years, at least. Since installation of Fibre 100, I've had average download speeds of c. 130Mbps. At the beginning of July I switched from Sky TV to BT TV (was put on a 2 year Broadband and TV contract) and was provided with the Smart Hub 2 (previously had the Smart Hub 1). Immediately my broadband speeds have dropped from 130Mbps to between 60 and 80Mbps and this is consistent. Please note this is the speed when BTTV is not being used so is a like for like comparison with my broadband when I had Sky. The BT Broadband test confirmed that I was receiving less than the 100Mbps guarantee and they have opened a fault for me, although no progress seems to be being made with it. As I say, I know that I can receive consistent speeds of c. 130Mbps which has disappeared overnight and I would really like to know (1) what has happened and (2) when will my previous speed be reinstated.

All help appreciated, many thanks.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Reduced Broadband speed on Fibre 100

Wifi or Wired connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Wired connection.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

One thing you haven't made clear, have you changed ISP? All you mention is a change of TV service.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

I'm attaching below a screenshot of the BT Wholesale broadband speed checker site for my exchange - Newtown Llantwit - box 28. Does this help with an evaluation of my problem? Many thanks.

GazzaP Wholesale Broadband checker.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

No I've been with BT Broadband for years and have had Fibre 100 for a couple of years - Ultrafast with BT, as I say, averaging speeds of 130Mbps.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

So to be clear, I've  had BT Fibre 100 Ultrafast with a Smart Hub 1 for about 2 years with speeds at 130Mbps. At the beginning of July I also took on BTTV ( I was previously with Sky for my TV) and was sent a Smart Hub 2 as part of the package. My Broadband package has remained the same - Fibre 100 - but the download speed has bombed to between 60 and 80Mbps since taking on the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Thank you for the clarity. I was a bit confused. So, do you still have the other hub or did you send it back? It was yours after all, the SH2 isn't, BT changed the terms where they now retain ownership but previously once you finished the minimum term the hub became your property. That's another story though.

Can you post the connection stats from the hub. Go to advanced settings/technical log/information.

Do a quiet line test, 17070 option 2,best with corded phone. Shouls be silent between announcements. You may get a dull hub from a cordless but that's OK.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Hi Pippincp

Yes I still have my old smart hub. I was wondering whether I should try just going back to that? I've done the quiet line test - we have cordless 'phones for the landline. Apart from a very feint noise (presumably the cordless radio), the line is completely quiet.

Below are the stats from the Tech log for the Smart Hub 2:

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2   
Serial number2001096121   
Fireware versionv0.17.01.12312-BT (Mon May 11 18:49:53 2020)
Board versionR01   
GUI version1.56 15_02_2019  
DSL uptime1 days 7 Hours 19 Mins 45 Secs 
Data rate15.9 Mbps / 87.5 Mbps  
Maximum Data rate15.6 Mbps / 79.6 Mbps  
Noise margin3.1/6.9   
Line attenuation0.0/42.0   
Signal attenuation0.0/42.0   
VLAN id101   
Upstream error controlOff   
Downstream error controlOff   
Data sent / received1.8 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded 
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com 
BT Wi-FiActive   
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-JKACJ9   
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel11)  
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-JKACJ9   
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel36)  
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)  
Wireless modeMode 1   
FirewallOn   
MAC address0C:8E:29:E2:01:BF  
Software variant-   
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017) 

Hope that helps and await to hear. Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Oh and btw, I've just been onto the BT troubleshooting site where I first reported the fault and they have stated that the fault has now been fixed. However, I'm getting a download speed atm of 67Mbps, which is less than 50% of what I was achieving prior to the receipt of the Smart Hub 2. Any advice around what I should be expecting (download speed wise) and what my options are would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings