Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sandbrain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Reduced Infinity 2 speeds following broadband fault

Go to solution

Hi,

My broadband went down 2 months ago and my Openreach modem + HH4 were replaced with a BT Hub 5A. This did bring my broadband back up but it has been dropping out frequently. My speed used to be around 60Mbps down but this has gradually reduced to around 36Mbps. Drop outs have now reduced to once every 3 or 4 days. However, I am now paying Infinity 2 prices for Infinity 1 speed.

I am wondering if there's a fault (high SNR perhaps?) which the old modem couldn't cope with but the Hub 5 does to a large degree. The internal wiring is all good, quiet line test is fine and I have disconnected the telephone apparatus and rebooted hub just in case. Do you think there's a problem? Can you advise on the best route for me to take to get the service improved?

Thanks in advance.

Test results:

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 36.2 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 25.86 Mbps-36.95 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 36.95 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.95Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

Hub info following it's latest reboot [Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)] as I was about to post this!

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068543+NQ51308213

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 10/07/17

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

0 days, 00:01:04

6. Data rate:

18979 / 38170

7. Maximum data rate:

24478 / 79001

8. Noise margin:

8.5 / 17.3

9. Line attenuation:

20.0 / 16.2

10. Signal attenuation:

20.0 / 16.2

11. Data sent/received:

-

12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

13. BT Wi-fi:

Yes

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

BTHub5-732F

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

BTHub5-732G

19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))

20. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

22. Firewall:

23. MAC Address:

00:37:b7:21:62:7c

24. Modulation:

G.993.2 Annex B

25. Software variant:

AA

26. Boot loader:

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Reduced Infinity 2 speeds following broadband fault

Go to solution

if your connection is contnually dropping then your speed won't improve so you need to finf the cause of your unstable conenction.  have you tried connecting to the test socket to see if that stabilises your conenction?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sandbrain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

I assume I'll have to use an ADSL filter to connect the hub to the test socket? I have no extension wiring, so what will that prove?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

Yes you need to use a filter and it will prove if the master socket filter is faulty or not.

sandbrain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

Yes you need to use a filter and it will prove if the master socket filter is faulty or not.

Thanks for confirming. I'll hold fire on that as my rate increased overnight (02:17) to 57362Kbps from 38170Kbps, speed test shows 54.73Mbp - best it has been for 2 months. Yesterday, I checked / retightened connections on the terminating block and reseated the faceplate on the master socket. If it stabilises at this, I'll be happy!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

you must have changed something that has helped imrpove your speed.  noise margin must have dropped with speed increase - what is the down noise margin now bearing in mind normal is 6db and yours is probably still high showing more potential increase nearer attainable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
sandbrain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

you must have changed something that has helped imrpove your speed.  noise margin must have dropped with speed increase - what is the down noise margin now bearing in mind normal is 6db and yours is probably still high showing more potential increase nearer attainable

As stated, all I did was retighten connections on Block Termination and reseated faceplate, apart from restarting hub. Same phone eqpt connected. 

Useful info, which I think shows 9.8db noise margin downstream:

6. Data rate:

18979 / 57362

7. Maximum data rate:

24384 / 74177

8. Noise margin:

8.5 / 9.8

9. Line attenuation:

19.8 / 16.1

10. Signal attenuation:

19.7 / 16.1

Thanks @imjolly  Any ideas how I could get closer to attainable speed if I felt the need to ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

just maintain connection and DLM should reduce noise margin down to normal 6db which will move your conenction speed closer to attainable  unfortunately there is no timescale and all you can do is maintain connection

sandbrain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

just maintain connection and DLM should reduce noise margin down to normal 6db which will move your conenction speed closer to attainable  unfortunately there is no timescale and all you can do is maintain connection

Thanks, I will not disconnect hub (I rarely do). Figures I previously posted were from earlier this morning. Interestingly, noise margin increased but so did max data rate since it reconnected itself 50 mins ago:

DSL uptime:0 days, 00:50:40
6. Data rate:18979 / 57362
7. Maximum data rate:24384 / 76849
8. Noise margin:8.4 / 10.6
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution
Looks ok just hope connection remains stable

0 Ratings