cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Reduced broadband speed

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that BT have reduced the broadband speed they advertise as part of their deals? 

We've been on the same deal for a couple of years and as part of that the speed has been 'up to 40Mb' and to be fair to them we used to get over that (typically about 42Mb).  Recently I noticed that this had reduced to about 40Mb (still happy as it's at top end of what they state), then in the past week (25 Nov to be specific) it's dropped to about 36Mb.  I've done various tests and there is nothing wrong with the connection so was a bit confused.  Then by chance we got an email about 'upgrade' options and so I went online to look at the deals available and the maximum now available to us is one that has a speed 'up to 36Mb'.  I suppose I should be OK with the speeds we are getting given they are at the top end of what is now available to us but given absolutely nothing has changed at our end I can only assume BT are capping bandwidth somewhere within their infrastructure which is somewhat frustrating.

Has anyone else noticed anything simlar?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Reduced broadband speed

as more people are added to the cabinet you tend to get more crosstalk which in turn causes a drop on connection speed.  This is not controlled by BT retail  to help with the problem the DLM will activate G.INP 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the explanation.  If it was a case of crosstalk as you describe then I assume it would be a gradual degradation over time, whereas in our case it was a step change overnight which is why I am slightly more cynical about what might have happened.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

That's the problem with crosstalk, it can and most often does happen swiftly. It depends on where the pair of wires causing it is in relation to yours in the bundle.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

pjt123

You haven't just had a firmware update, have you?

I only ask because my speed dropped very suddenly just like yours, and when I looked into it, it had happened just the day after a firmware update. I am sure that the update installed correctly as everything else is working perfectly, but quite a coincidence all the same.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

HI,

Thanks @northshields and @imjolly for your responses.

We did have a BTSmartHub which we swapped out a while ago for a Vigor 130 and a Ubiquiti USG.  This has been stable and performant for a while before this reduction in bandwidth.

I've tried the quiet line check and it was suitably quiet 🙂

Here's the output from the BT checker.

pjt123_0-1606660782189.png

Thanks for the advice/support

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

Sorry I should also have posted this - the output of the 'advanced' test from the BT checker which seems to confirm that what they consider 'acceptable' has reduced.  Unfortunately I have only just discovered this tool by looking on this forum when I first noticed the slowdown as so can't say what it was when we were getting the higher speeds.

pjt123_0-1606661218164.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

the dslchecker estimated range 41.5/27mb and  looks like you have a 40.7mb connection speed which is right at top end.  your download speed is consistent with your connection speed.

can you post any stats from vigor?

0 Ratings