cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Reduced speed

There probably is not anything that can be done, but thought I would ask and see if anyone has any ideas I hadn't thought of.

Since a previous issue a year and a half ago, where my line had to be completely swapped, after about a month or so my speeds returned to the normal 70ish I always had (max data and data rate the same hovering around 70 and 70000) - actual download obviously a bit lower in the mid 60s. Then 2 months ago it crashed down to 56 then up to 58/59 a day or two later.

At first it still had maximum data rate hovering around 70k even though the data rate was lower. But after it resyched tonight, and I checked again for the first time in a few weeks, it is now max data rate 59840 and rate is 59.42.

Have I just lost my original speed for good now? For me it was worth paying the extra for Infinity 2 even if it wasnt a huge increase, but not so much if I can't get the speed I had pretty much constantly for a few years except for 1 short faulty period.

I did try the bt wholesale speed test to get the further info, but it kept giving a result of 35! This is wrong, speedtest.net and BTs own speed test both give a result of nearly 56. So I am not sure what the issue is there.

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reduced speed

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection speed. Try this even if you currently have a filtered master socket

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I did actually check noise before and forgot to say. I don't think there is, the wired phone is old.

It is not absolutely silent, but no crackling or obvious noise. Just the slightest, faitest hiss you can barely tell in the background.

I have now put it into the test socket as well, I should have thought of that just been a while since there were issues. Nothing has changed much initially, noise margin has gone down slightly though from 6.2 to 5.9, max data now at 60383 and data rate at 60.78, and quiet line sounds the same I think (the old phone does make it harder).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The quiet line test should be silent and any noise is a problem for broadband  report phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings