cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Regular Dropouts & High Latency

For the last few months we've been getting regular disconnects on broadband which happen with no pattern at all (in terms of wired/wireless; time of day; number of users). Up to 5 or 6 times a day, the router will lose its connection (status in portal goes yellow to show its disconnected) for approximately 1 minute before it comes straight back up.

Openreach were out and diagnosed a faulty SmartHub which has been replaced. Its not fixed the issue.

Openreach came out again to test the line and saw a history of errors which didn't point to anything in particular, but moved us to a different fibre pair in the cabinet. The engineer was saying that if the issue continues, it must be something in the house.

I bought a new TP-Link router today to see if that improved either issue. It seems to have improved my speed and latency, but not the dropouts. The only thing I can see on the TP-Link which stands-out is a high number of packet errors for upload.

I've tried disconnecting everything from the new router apart from a couple of clients, but that's not made any difference either.

Given Openreach have said there's nothing else that can be done, but I've now switched-out the router as well, any idea where to go next?

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Regular Dropouts & High Latency

If you are getting packet loss - there may be mains interference with the LAN cable
Make sure you minimise cross peer cords to other equipment and especially running them side by side - it can create magnetic induction loops Unitt the LAN wiring from rooter to the wall unit
Secondly - try changing out the cable that connects the wireless hub to the point it comes into the house to a higher better shield standard Cat6
Cheap options
Message 3 of 3

Re: Regular Dropouts & High Latency

I've tried swapping all the key cables out but the connection still drops unfortunately.

0 Ratings