cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Remove old / redundant overhead cable and use fixings for new Fibre connection?

Fibre is coming, TLAs on top of 'my' pole and other houses, Fibre cable in ducting back to the local exchange. Yea!!

I have a very old phone connection unuse for many, many  years - how do I persuade OR to remove the cable and reuse the pole and wall fixings when installing the fibre? 

It would save the installer from the labour involved in fixing new strainers - or at leas new brackets and yet more holes in my gable end.

I've looked at OR's booklet and it doesn't really cover my situation.

How do I ensure that it is done as part of the FTTP operation? I'm not allowed to contact OR and I suspect my service provider has no vehicle for issuing instructions relating to the installation. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Remove old / redundant overhead cable and use fixings for new Fibre connection?

@OldGoat 

Who is your Service Provider?

Is this FTTP?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: Remove old / redundant overhead cable and use fixings for new Fibre connection?

@CJT80wrote:

@OldGoat 

Who is your Service Provider?

Is this FTTP?

Silly me, sorry -  yes it is FTTP

But no, I don't have a service provider (as my current one doesn't want to provide VDSL in this area and my future one won't discuss anything until  "adsl checker says 'Yes' " By that time the world will have moved on - but I'd like to get my cabling plans sorted outwhile I'm still alive...

Cynic? Moi? 

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 18

@OldGoat 

My understanding (and this can be corrected by a more experienced member of the Community) is that upon you being able to order the FTTP a survey will be conducted by OR, and they should (in theory) note any existing cabiling.

Assuming the cabling is for a telephone service (as you say) it maybe left in place and the Fibre ran along side it. 

I doubt it would be in OR's best interest to remove it altogether, unless it requires complete replacement with a new line. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Until you place an order and Openreach come out to either survey or install it is all speculation as to how it will be dealt with.

See link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36968/~/how-is-fibre-to-the-home-installed%3F

OldGoat
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

I have read that document and it is "full of maybe's".
From a practical point of view I need to do any work (ducting, cable access) now - rather than wait for a technician to turn up and say - 'where do you want it Guv' or more likely - I'm going to drill a hole here'.
My connection is funded by my County Council and a survey has already been done - but with no reference to householders.
I just want to make the installation as easy as possible for everybody and I'm quite happy to make more effort to make installation easy for Openreach.
Is that unreasonable?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

The forum has nothing to do with Openreach. The installation is entirely in the hands of Openreach. Unfortunately there is nothing that anybody on this forum can do to assist you. 

clonk
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

For my FTTP installation, the existing hanger was reused but I asked them to get rid of the old cable and route the new 2 part cable to a new location with a new master socket for the phone. They were happy to do this.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

@clonkwrote:

For my FTTP installation, the existing hanger was reused but I asked them to get rid of the old cable and route the new 2 part cable to a new location with a new master socket for the phone. They were happy to do this.

Thanks - that's most encouraging! I was immagining all sorts of convolutions as there's no way my provoder will put a request through the system when I order the service (I did check...). I was hoping to make a formal request as I've notice comments elsewhere that customers take advantage of the installation team on the day - which is unreasonable. However, if that's the way the BT group want it - then be it so.

A most helpful reply in contrast to the previous answer from someone who ought to know better saying - in effect 'nothing to do with BT - go away'  To my mind if a monopoly company shuts itself away for its effective customers it deserves all it gets. Perhaps it's spite for being forcibly demerged in the first place.

Rant over.

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

As every house is different then I think that Openreach do the sensible thing and leave it to the engineer to decide what is reasonable in conjunction with the customer at the time of installation, so don't worry about 'taking advantage'.

0 Ratings