cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Remove old / redundant overhead cable and use fixings for new Fibre connection?

@OldGoat wrote:

@clonkwrote:

A most helpful reply in contrast to the previous answer from someone who ought to know better saying - in effect 'nothing to do with BT - go away'  To my mind if a monopoly company shuts itself away for its effective customers it deserves all it gets. Perhaps it's spite for being forcibly demerged in the first place.

Rant over.

Perhaps you could explain a) why as a BT customer I ought to know better?  and b) what it has to do with BT when BT do not install the FTTP network, it is installed by Openreach whose customers are the ISPs and not as you would appear to think, the customers of the ISPs.

OldGoat
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Re: Remove old / redundant overhead cable and use fixings for new Fibre connection?

@gg30340wrote:

@OldGoatwrote:

@clonkwrote:

A most helpful reply in contrast to the previous answer from someone who ought to know better saying - in effect 'nothing to do with BT - go away'  To my mind if a monopoly company shuts itself away for its effective customers it deserves all it gets. Perhaps it's spite for being forcibly demerged in the first place.

Rant over.

Perhaps you could explain a) why as a BT customer I ought to know better?  and b) what it has to do with BT when BT do not install the FTTP network, it is installed by Openreach whose customers are the ISPs and not as you would appear to think, the customers of the ISPs.

Is this  the £1 five minute argument, or ne of 8 for a fiver? ....

I was complaining about gg3040's response to previous post who said that this forum had nothing to do with OR and I would get no help on here.

au contraire -  I found your post most helpful, and thanked you. I looked at your substantial thread (most of which I hadn't seen before and it has in effect answered all my outstanding queries which were in the nature of  'how is it done'  rather than trying to tell OR what to do.

FWIW your tale is part of the frustration of the inefficiency of one having to contact an ISP who gets a muddle from OR an matters are passed back and forth between them. It shouldn't be that way.

Being out in the sticks, I've found OR staff have been most pleasant and am a bit more relaxed about the installation - whenever that might be.

It was interesting to note that your cable is what I believe the older style with a copper pair - that suits me better as two rattly cables might be replaced with one.  It all depends on what is on the van on the day...    

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Oh dear - now you've started a 3 way argument. The post you've attributed to me was actually from gg3040 continuing his argument.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Oh dear - all I wanted were SOLUTIONS.
I detest arguments on Fora, because it clouds information and just lets folks let off steam.
I'll just have to wait till the techie(s) turn up and negotiate with them
"Certa Cito" is in my blood and I'm following the family tradition...
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Hi All

Opinions and views can differ but let's keep it friendly. 

I think the advice of waiting for the guy doing the install on the day is best 🙂

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Fine by me - I didn't want to stir things up - just gather information, which I think I've now achieved, so thanks all for your forbearance...

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Stuart,

From  the point of not creating any furter  argument and possible unpleasantness on here, you may be correct.

My worry is that if on the day of installation the technician turns up and says "I can't / wont do that" - where does it leave me?

I'd rather get it right first time (laying trunking and following the route that BT, yes BT - did 30 years ago) - no wasted call for the installer and a happy customer; is that not reasonable?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

Unfortunately although it would appear so, it isn't, it really is down to the engineer on the day as all installations are unique. I think you are worrying unnecessarily and all will be fine on the day.

0 Ratings