Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Replacement for openreach modem and Home Hub 4

Hi

I've just had Infinity installed and it's brilliant. The engineer disconnected my existing router (A brand new Netgear N750 wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL modem router DGND4000 Premium edition), and instead, he installed a separate openreach modem and the BT Home Hub 4 router. I was thinking of getting rid of both of these and going back to my original set up of just my Netgear.... if it's possible, for the 3 following reasons:

1. I'd rather have just one box under my stairs than two.

2. My Netgear modem/router would transmit at 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously and each one would appear as separate wireless networks when scanning for available networks so I could choose which frequency to connect to with each device I chose. However, I can't find the setting for this in the Home Hub 4 if it exists?? I can see that it transmits at both frequencies simultaneously but I can't figure out how to choose which frequency to connect to with each device, it seems that the Home Hub 4 makes that decision itself (I noticed my laptop was connected at 2.4GHz and my daughter's iPad was connected at 5GHz).

3. I suspect my Netgear might be a better modem/router than what BT has given me but I may be wrong about this!

Does anyone know if I can set up my Netgear modem/router instead of the separate modem and Home Hub4 and how I go about this please (what setting I need etc)?

Also, does anyone know how to solve problem 2 above and are my assumptions in 3 above correct??

Many thanks

Gaz

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
MBR123
Expert
Message 2 of 26

Re: Replacement for openreach modem and Home Hub 4

You carn't bud your old router was for ADSL connection, unless it has a fibre base connection then its useless and you will have to stick with the HH4 set up, that was why the engineer had to set up the HH4 with the openreach box!. 

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
soapy
Expert
Message 3 of 26

if you want a one box solution you need a modem/router that is compatible with vdsl, not adsl as infinity uses vdsl

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

You can't use it as a modem because it's an ADSL modem and you need a VDSL but you should be able to use it as a router to replace the homehub.

You need this info to set it up:  user name and password is bthomehub@btbroadband.com  the password is your own choice if prompted for one and it should be set to ppp0e.

aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Thanks all

In addition to the ADSL in socket at the back of the Netgear router, it also has another input socket labelled "cable/fibre in". Does that mean it's VDSL compatible too, and does this mean I can use it to replace the BT set-up??

Thanks

Gaz

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 26

If it is the same type of socket as on the back of the HH where the wire from the modem goes yes but you will not be able to replace the modem only the HH.

I have just checked you Netgear router has a WAN socket and can be used to replace the HH should you wish to.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

According to its specs it is an ADSL modem. It is not VDSL

The Cable/fibre in socket is where you will plug the ethernet cable from the Openreach modem to the router.

PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 26

You should be able to use it instead of the HH4, it has a gigabit ethernet which will connect to a Cable or a Fibre Modem. http://www.netgear.co.uk/images/DGND4000-Product-Diagram-Backview73-43564.jpg
"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
soapy
Expert
Message 9 of 26

if it has cable / fibre in and it is a rj45 ethernet socket you can plug the modem into that plug which still means you have 2 boxes, there is a netgear router with vdsl modem built in but i cannot think of the model number right now...EDIT i just looked up your netgear and for fibre you do need to use the openreach modem as well, it plugs into the fibre/cable plug meaning yes you still have 2 boxes

aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

OK thanks again everyone. Looks like I'll be sticking with the BT setup then. In which case does anyone know the solution to problem number 2 in my original post about how to select which frequency to connect individual devices to please? also, anyone want to by an almost brand new Netgear ADSL modem router??

Cheers

Gaz

0 Ratings