cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Replacing BT Home Hub with Google Nest WiFi Issues (FTTP)

Go to solution

Dear community,

I am looking for some support setting up a new Google Nest WiFi [edit] as a replacement to my existing BT HomeHub [/edit]. My current setup is:

Fibre to Premises + BT openreach modem (ONT) + BT Homehub

After Downloading the Google home App, It tries to connect the Wi-Fi to the internet but says it can’t connect. It then gives me the option to input the WAN settings. On the WAN settings page I have the option to select DHCP, static IP or or PPPOE. I have done some googling prior to posting this message and the general feedback seems to be to enter the PPPOE username as broadbanduser@btbroadband.com / bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password of either ‘ ‘ (space), ‘bt’ or just left blank (which google home app does not let you do).

after saving the settings the Google home app attempts to connect to the Internet again. However the problem of no connection persists and the Google home app asks me to re-enter the wide area network settings again.

I’d be very grateful for some help and assistance. Many thanks in advance,

Jay

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Replacing BT Home Hub with Google Nest WiFi Issues (FTTP)

Go to solution

Are you attempting to connect the Google nest router to the Hub? The hub is no longer required, connect the Google router directly to the ONT.

The correct PPPoE credentials are bthomehub@btbroadband.com password isn't needed for BT but if Google requires one, BT will suffice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Hi there, thank you so much for the reply. My original post was perhaps misleading in that I’m not trying to connect my Google Wi-Fi to my home hub but directly to my open reach modem. Sorry for the confusion.

J
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Might be worth a factory reset of the Google Nest and try again with the PPPoE settings posted. VLAN id is not required with FTTP by the way in case you had set that to 101.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

I’ve just factory reset the Google Nest Wi-fi and re-entering the credentials you mentioned but it still will not connect.

any other suggestions?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I'm afraid not, that should be all you need to do.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

after a 2nd factory restart, it now works. Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

I currently have virgin and the nest wifi, my virgin hub is in modem mode.  Am i right in thinking that i can now just plug my google router into the lan on the FTTP box ive had installed when my bt internet goes live ?

Ive seen on here some have had to factory reset the google wifi, is that everytime or shall i just see how i get on?

Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

You will need to configure the Google WiFi with the generic BT PPPoE credentials of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

As already posted earlier in the thread

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

will i need to factory reset the google router ?

0 Ratings