cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AVRC
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Replacing faceplate?

This past week we've had numerous fibre disconnections, I assumed it was BT's end as there was a service issue notification affecting our area code (01543), however support said that was not the case. I removed the openreach mk3 faceplate (front and middle) and plugged a microfilter in and hey presto no disconnections since. 

Now my query is, is there any point forking out on a new faceplate (middle and front) or should I just leave the microfilter plugged in? The socket is in a corner behind furniture so aesthetically not an issue. As a sicde note we do not have a phone connected, the only time one does get connected is when we have internet issues and I check for a) dial tone and b) noise.

We are on a slightly slower speed than usual but I suspect that might be down to the hundreds of disconnects we've had over the past week...?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Replacing faceplate?

As you don't have any extension sockets then you can just leave connection to test socket without any problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Hi @AVRC,

Faceplates are known to fail, so it could be that. Do you have any line noise when the faceplate is connected? You can leave it as is, but if you want a new faceplate, you shouldn't have to pay for it (you should log a fault to book an engineer who will replace the faceplate for you).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If it is working OK with the filter and you do not actually need the socket for the phone then there is no reason to fit a new face plate if you don't want to.

If the disconnects have stopped your speed should slowly return to what it was. It may however take a few weeks.

0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

oh yes LOTS of noise with the faceplate connected. No noise with it off and the microfilter in place. There was an engineer booked but when I realised it was the faceplate I cancelled as I was led to believe anything inside the property being at fault would be charged for. The person I cancelled with did not say that an engineer would replace the faceplate.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I would just stay as you are and save any hassle. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

The MK3 faceplates quite often fail, usually alter a storm. There are a large number of electronic components inside.

This is a simpler alternative.

lindy.jpg

lindy rear.jpg

0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll leave the microfilter on. No doubt we'll have future issues that requires an engineer and the socket will end up replaced anyway. It's been replaced a few times over the past 12 years or so. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

I assume you realise if you had any additional phone sockets around the house these will no longer work with the faceplate removed. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 11

@Devon_Dave The OP has stated they don't use a landline phone except to check for noise etc.

0 Ratings