cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pod
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Replacing homehub4

After a weekend with my new BT Infinity fibre optic broadband I am already fed up with the lack of range offered by my 5 day old HH4.  As it would appear that BT/Open Reach will now effectively wash their hands of this, I have decided I may as well bit the bullet and buy a router that works.

I have been recommended this

The Draytek Vigor 2760n ADSL or VDSL with WiFi 802.11n

My questions are

Anyone know if this is a good option?  I want to send the WiFi signal reliably round my house rather than intermittantly as I get now with HH4.

Will it work with the Open Reach master socket?  As it has a built in modem, so I would ned to disconnect the BT modem supplied.

Will it be easy to set up?  I am not very technically minded, so want an option that will be straightforward if at all possible.

Are there any other recommendations for a better router?  At this point I am open to suggestion and price, as long as it works well.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Replacing homehub4

Wireless wise the performance probably will not be much different as that i believe is only a 300Mbps wireless device also. It may give a performance boost but nothing amazingly so.

It destroys the HH4 in other regards/features but if its just improved wireless you want you are probably better off going for a 600Mbps dual band or better device. Or the cheaper and perhaps even better option if your home is dependant of wireless would be wireless range extenders or powerline adapters.

Of course if you have other issues with the HH4 then go ahead and replace it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

this was a previous post with hh4 wifi problems  http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Poor-Wifi-range-with-new-install-home-hub-4/m-p/1011600/...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pod
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

@ Paradox

Thanks for the reply.  The issue really is just the range, or more precisely the intermittent nature of the range.  The hub can reach the reuqired areas, but fails to do this consistently.  It just doesn't cover the area that even my old Netgear router on my 3 meg broadband used to, although I can use some devices whilst others won't work and visa versa, which I find very odd.  Perhaps that is to do with the range of the 5MHz band. 

I have tried a range extender, one recommended on this forum, and it helped improve signal strength, but not stop the intermittent nature of the signal.   So I was hoping a better router might extend the range.

@ imjolly

Thanks for the link, I will look at that tonight and see if it helps.  Cheers

0 Ratings
warbulator
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

pod it sounds like you are suffering from wifi interference, we only have 13 wifi channels in the uk

try using "inssider" programme downloaded onto a LAPTOP this will scan your local neibours to see which channels they use, i know homehub trys to move channels if interference is detected but this way you can find the least used channel and set it manually on the hub, hopefully stopping the problem.

0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Could be interference as stated above or location of the hub itself. You could get a powerline adapter kit, plug one into the hub and one in to an area of the house that has issues with the wifi signal and then plug your old Netgear router in to that powerline adapter and use that as a wifi repeater. Which should work.

Speed though be it through a powerline kit or wifi adapters/extenders etc gear is never going to be as good as wired.

Ideally if your house is like mine (concrete walls and loads of dead spots) you should IMO do what i did and thats quit the faffing around with wireless, buy some CAT5e or better cable, some RJ45 jacks, a gigabit switch or two and hardwire up your house. If you plan it out right and do it on a nice day the job should only take a few hours and you will banish wireless woes forever. Unless you need a million miles of cabling it can also work out cheaper than buying fancy new routers and similar also.

Ideally if you are going to have to run cables outside, up high, in small spaces, or get ladders and things out its better to do it on a nice sunny day which ultimately now there probably will not be much of until next year. So either wrap up warm and brave the rain if you need to wire outside or wait until next summer.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@pod

Be aware that there are only a few routers that support BT's version of IPTV. This is used to supply internet channels to the Youview box , so if this is of interest to you have a look at the thread in the YouView forum regarding routers known to work.

This is the thread in question:- http://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Known-Routers-to-Work-with-Multicast-IGMP/td-p/994338

0 Ratings
CRIPINUK
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@pod wrote:

After a weekend with my new BT Infinity fibre optic broadband I am already fed up with the lack of range offered by my 5 day old HH4.  As it would appear that BT/Open Reach will now effectively wash their hands of this, I have decided I may as well bit the bullet and buy a router that works.

I have been recommended this

The Draytek Vigor 2760n ADSL or VDSL with WiFi 802.11n

My questions are

Anyone know if this is a good option?  I want to send the WiFi signal reliably round my house rather than intermittantly as I get now with HH4.

Will it work with the Open Reach master socket?  As it has a built in modem, so I would ned to disconnect the BT modem supplied.

Will it be easy to set up?  I am not very technically minded, so want an option that will be straightforward if at all possible.

Are there any other recommendations for a better router?  At this point I am open to suggestion and price, as long as it works well.

Many thanks in advance.

I recently installed this for a mate and the wifi range was better than his HH4, you can also add the optional higher gain antenners .  A cheaper option is to add a couple of these 

TP-LINK TL-WA850RE there very good and easy to set up   

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=2b5cbf082cb7a30a5e39f93dbb27ed01&ria=0
0 Ratings