cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chayes030
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Replacing the router (and maybe the modem)

I've had loads of problems with my infinity. Essentially it is incredibly variable, going from the full 75MB/s DL to 0.37 MB/s DL which gets very annoying. A lot of my devices also tend to lose the wireless despite being in the same room as the modem/router. I know the problem doesn't lie with the devices as they work everywhere else, therefore I am looking to change the modem/router.

I purchased this one a while back it's the Netgear N300 Dual Band Modem-Router. I am just wondering if it is able to completely replace the modem and the router, or even just the router? I.e. will it work with infinity?

If it won't work, can anyone suggest an alternative router for me?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Homer_J
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Replacing the router (and maybe the modem)

@chayes030 wrote:

A lot of my devices also tend to lose the wireless despite being in the same room as the modem/router.

Have you tried a different wireless channel? My phone constantly disconnects if the HomeHub is on channel 1.

As for replacing the Homehub, you can use any "cable" router.  You can get the login details off the Homehub (it's just a username with blank or anything for the password).

You might be able to get the ADSL router you have working but it will entail disabling the modem and setting it up as if it is a cable router.

0 Ratings
chayes030
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I have tried changing the channel, unfortunately that has not changed the situation.

With regards to trying a cable router then, is this one: "NETGEAR WNDR3400 N600 Dual-Band Wireless Router" a router that will work? I'm not that great with regards to the different types of hardware!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 14

a tp link tl wr1043nd works
Homer_J
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

@chayes030 wrote:

With regards to trying a cable router then, is this one: "NETGEAR WNDR3400 N600 Dual-Band Wireless Router" a router that will work?

Yes, you can see on http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR3400.aspx#two that it connects to a modem.

bingos
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700 instead of the HH3.

WNDR3700

This appears to be similiar to the WNDR3400 except it has gigabit ethernet ports instead of fast ethernet (10/100) ports.

I'm not using the WiFi features of this, mind, as I have another two Netgear Wireless Access Points elsewhere on my network that I use instead.

chayes030
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

So we've spent a long time living with these problems and I got fed up and tried to get one of my friends to play about with the netgear modem-router i got, to get it working. unfortunately he couldn't link it up to actually get the internet, and he thought it was because the router wasn't actually recognising the modem and therefore picking up the internet.

I'm just wondering on the routers set-up bit, there's an area where it asks if my internet connection requires a password, is that where I put in the Homehub login details?

If i'm spouting rubbish point me in the direction of a step-by-step guide on what to do (i've tried searching myself but i don't think i know what i'm actually looking for!!) and i'll follow that to the letter and see if it works!!

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Generally any router that says its for cable connections will work.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

Any router that supports PPPoE connections will work, there is no password required but some routers need one, just enter a space and all will be OK.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 10 of 14

@chayes030 wrote:

So we've spent a long time living with these problems and I got fed up and tried to get one of my friends to play about with the netgear modem-router i got, to get it working. unfortunately he couldn't link it up to actually get the internet, and he thought it was because the router wasn't actually recognising the modem and therefore picking up the internet.

I'm just wondering on the routers set-up bit, there's an area where it asks if my internet connection requires a password, is that where I put in the Homehub login details?

If i'm spouting rubbish point me in the direction of a step-by-step guide on what to do (i've tried searching myself but i don't think i know what i'm actually looking for!!) and i'll follow that to the letter and see if it works!!

Hi there,

First off, make sure that you're connecting the ethernet cable that's coming from the OpenReach modem to the port marked WAN on the back of your router. If you connect it to any of the other ports, it won't see the connection.

Another thing you need to do is in the username/password fields for your connection the login would be bthomehub@btinternet.com and the password is anything you like, but most people just use "bt" - Just don't leave it blank, or it won't connect.

See below for a screenie (A picture tells a thousand words and all that) Smiley Wink

Web GUI.png

I hope this info helps Smiley Very Happy