Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roba927
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Reported a dropping connection but was speed was just slowed down

Go to solution

My Infinity 2 connection was being dropped every few minutes with the following coming up in the Home Hub 5 event log:

(60251.400000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

I've read elsewhere on this forum that it is often the result of a fault on the line, so I contacted support using the online chat and they agreed that there was a fault and would pass it to an engineer investigate further.

A few hours later, I've been contacted and told that the issue has been resolved.

All that seems to have been done is that my connection speed has been turned down.  I previously managed to get 52Mbps and I now only get 46Mbps.

My biggest complaint, however, is that neither 46 nor 52Mbps comes anywhere near the 72-80Mbps that I was promised when I moved to Infinity.  (I've double checked the estimated speeds at www.dslchecker.bt.com)  My ADSL connection before I moved to Infinity always achieved the top end of BT's speed estimates so I can't understand why my connection speed for Infinity is now way below the minimum estimated speed.

Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this other than to battle on with BT support?

Rob.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Reported a dropping connection but was speed was just slowed down

Go to solution

The correct speed range is top of A to bottom of B  - sales teams only quote range A.

Can you post the HH5 helpdesk stats , the adsl checker (delete your number)  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html  and do the speed test and post results after running the further diagnostics http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
roba927
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Conrad

I've run the diagnostics you suggested and screen shots are below.  As you can see I'm only managing 45Mbps which is quite a way off the lower figure of 62Mbps in range B.  When I had ADSL2, I could get 14Mbps which is at the top end of the range.  Obviously I'm now disappointed that I can't even manage the lowest quoted connection speed.

Screen Shot1

Screen Shot2

Screen Shot3

Rob.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Is the quiet line test ok - ring 17070 option 2.  If then you will need to ring BT to tell them there is a phone line fault - until this is fixed your speed won't increase.

The termination request has been a problem in the past but was supposed to have been resolved. If the hub continues to do this then you may need the mods to help out.

DLM appears to be treating the disconnections as a faulty line and has reduced your profile but your noise margin is ok. If the connection does hold for the next week,say, then your profile should start to improve.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings
roba927
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Silent line test was ok.  Have also read through some more forum posts on the issue.

Turns out that the muppet from Kelly Communications that "installed" my Infinity 2 connection didn't do what he was supposed to do.  All he did was pull the plug out the back of my home hub 3 and plug it into the back of the new home hub 5. Left the ADSL micro-filters in place (on the master socket where the home hub is and also on the extension) and didn't bother to replace the master socket with a new one with a separate connection for the home hub.  He did no testing at all (other than to see that the blue light came on the home hub and that I still had a dial tone).  The bloke couldn't get out of the house fast enough, without leaving me any time to question what had or had not been done.

Anyway, contacted support this morning and have got an engineer coming out on Thursday to sort it all out.  Comes with the usual caveat that if it's my fault then it will cost 130 quid.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

A problem that is frequently reported and frustrating for those that suffer from it, however:- the roll-out is that large that Openreach's own engineers could not possibly cope with it on their own. Their time is best spent on the small (in comparison) amount of call backs.

For all the complaints about contractor installs they are in the minority.

0 Ratings
roba927
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Openreach engineer has just visited.  Testing revealed that it was a faulty port in the fibre cabinet.  He swapped me onto a new port in the cabinet and fitted an openreach faceplate on the master socket so the micro-filters are now gone.  He also reset the DLM.  Just shows that I wouldn't have had this problem if the install was done properly with some testing in the first place.

I'm now getting a healthy 74Mbits down and 18.5 up, which was what I expected to get in the first place.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
great result 🙂
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi pippinp,

I wonder though how many people are suffering lower speeds than they should be getting without realising why ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings