cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HazelH
Message 1 of 19

Reporting a fault - conflicting information!

Go to solution

Hi, my BT broadband has been down since 6 June (router flashing pink and we have tried resetting it etc) - I reported a fault that day but it is not visible online (when I track the fault it says "There are no faults to display for this account.")

When I try to submit a new fault, two partially completed faults are shown but I can't continue through the dialog for broadband only as the questions are all about dial tones etc when making a call - we don't have a landline phone in the house!

Any ideas how I can make sure the fault is reported? Already pretty disappointed we will be without BT internet for the weekend...

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Reporting a fault - conflicting information!

Go to solution

the first basic check for no broadband is 'do you have a dial tone'  an investment of about £5 in corded phone could save you the call out fee of £85 to first check if problem is in your home  if no dial tone then you report a phone fault to 151 not broadband fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
HazelH
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks - but I don't really understand. I don't have a landline phone and I don't think I should be required to buy one - I also wasn't asked to check any dial tones when I submitted the fault yesterday. When I've checked up on the fault today, it looks to have split in two, one product landline and one product broadband, and when I resume both  it asks me questions about phones. 

Pretty disappointed as this is all very unclear to me - I am paying for BT broadband with a BT router and that service has stopped working.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

You are missing a very useful diagnostic tool by not having a landline phone. For instance you don't know if you have a line fault or a broadband fault as you can't check for a dial tone.

You could ring the fault in on 0800 800 151 as the mods here would take 2-3 days to get back to you.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Although you don’t use the ‘line’ for telephony , it’s primarily a telephone line with a broadband service sat on top.

Because  of the possibility that the problem could be something that Openreach are not responsible for ,  to avoid the possibility of being charged for a visit when the problem wasn’t Openreach’s , most providers ask you to perform basic checks, by plugging a known working phone into the master socket test port, if you have no dial tone there, then the problem cannot really be your responsibility,  an example could be someone who has the router in an extension socket that has gone faulty, Openreach are not responsible for extension sockets.
As already said , a small investment in a corded landline phone could save a call out fee, you could borrow one from a friend, neighbour or relative if you really don’t want to buy one.
If there was no dial tone at the master socket test port, the chances are it’s the same issue  affecting the lack of dialtone and lack of broadband , and you report it as a telephony problem , getting that fixed , also fixes the broadband, if you have a dialtone with the correct number ( dial 17070 to check) at the master socket , try plugging the router into the test port, if still no broadband service report as such to the ISP, even if it’s the same company, it’s two different departments

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

@HazelH  has posted under BT Fibre broadband

If your broadband is FTTP, then the phone test is pointless as the copper phone line is separate from the broadband fibre optic.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@clonk wrote:

@HazelH  has posted under BT Fibre broadband

If your broadband is FTTP, then the phone test is pointless as the copper phone line is separate from the broadband fibre optic.

For your information, the BT Fibre Broadband board is for all the fibre products which includes FTTP and FTTC so I don't understand your comment as there has been no mention that the OP is on FTTP .

clonk
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

That's why I said 'if' (replying to OP)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

So why did you even mention it and what was the relevance to you stating what board the OP posted on!

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

I'm not looking for a fight, so sorry if my post seemed abrasive.

The responders all made the assumption that OP is on FTTC which is not unreasonable as FTTC greatly outnumbers FTTP.  But bearing in mind that OP's title was 'conflicting information', then if by chance they were on FTTP, the responders would have added to the conflict. The OP hasn't responded so we're probably just debating with ourselves now.

0 Ratings