cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Requested FTTC But Speed Estimate Lower than Current ADSL

The engineer called me when the connection was made to the cabinet last week and told me it was cabinet 1. Cabinet 6 is the closest to me. I'd already informed BT and openreach that moving me to that cabinet from the exchange was a pointless effort due to the distance. What specific questions can i answer that will assist, i'm afraid I only know the facts as I've been told them by openreach engineers so don't know anything first hand.

here.pngthere.png

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

can you enter your phone number instead of address as that is more accurate and repost please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

The main thing to establish is whether your neighbours are connected to cabinet 6 and if they are connected to the same pole as you. All customers in the same cable will be connected to the same cabinet therefore if you are all connected to the same DP (distribution point) you will all be connected to cabinet 6.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

here 2.pngthere2.png

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

The key question is are those 2 properties served from the same pole?

When you talk of neighbours, do you mean immediate neighbours or are you in a very rural area and some distance from other properties.

Looking at the checker figures, you must be fairly close to the exchange to get 21M on ADSL, the other number must be quite a bit further away as they only get 14M.

I rather suspect that cabinet6 is not between you and the exchange but further out and your neighbour's circuit is routed out toward cabinet 6 whereas yours routes in the opposite direction to cab 1 outside the exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

You right about the geography. We are 2km from exchange, and 300m further down the road are the nearest neighbours with cabinet 6 outside. We are thus between cabinet 6 and exchange, which i why i asked at the time cabinet 6 was being installed if we were to be connected. Best download speeds in practice are closer to 15M, although drop outs kill off the connection a few times a day. Cabinet 1 is right outside the exchange. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Still no better. Wondering whether my only option is to try and get fttp through voucher scheme as my speed is below 30mbps. Fttp rollout hasn't reached here yet. Although there is what I presume to be a fibre splitter cabinet on a pole a few hundred metres closer to the exchange. Would this indicate that a fttp connection wouldn't be a massive cost exceeding the £3k voucher value, or could it be something else.

0 Ratings