Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Returning faulty BT hub

Go to solution

Hi all

I called BT yesterday to sort out an issue with my BT hub, where the power would keep cutting on and off.  So BT have arranged a new hub to be delivered, I received the new hub today.

However I wasn't told on the phone by BT that I would need to return the old equipment, I went to the local recycling centre to recycle some excess cardboard, I thought, well my BT hub doesn't work so i'll just take that as well.

The guy at the centre said I should place it in the electronics recycling where parts will get used.  

When I got back, I checked my emails and had received one from yesterday explaining what to do with my old hub.  However my mail client thought it was junk and don't often check the junk folder.

Will I still get charged for recycling it at my local plant, or will BT won't mind?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Returning faulty BT hub

Go to solution

They might decide to charge you for the new hub.  So far as they can tell, you reported the old hub as faulty, but now you've kept the old hub and the new one.

0 Ratings
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

No, I have kept the replacement, and i'm using the replacement.

The old one has been disposed of in a properly manner.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
As Ectophile posted you may be charged as it was not returned to BT normally the box the replacement came in has a return label and instructions about returns
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Post back the empty box, get proof of posting and if asked tell them you posted it and the hub must have fallen out. Unethical but I'm sure BT can afford to loose one faulty homehub.

0 Ratings
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Found an old BT OR modem.

I'll stick that in and see what happens.

MFF

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@ModernFamilyfan wrote:

No, I have kept the replacement, and i'm using the replacement.

The old one has been disposed of in a properly manner.

You may know that, but BT don't.

"Returning equipment

1. You must return any item of equipment that either:
      1. you report to us as faulty; or
      2. we tell you is faulty or requires replacement for technical reasons.

We may replace such equipment before you return it to us, but you must still return the item. We will provide a returns bag so that the item can be returned at no cost to you. We may test any item reported as faulty by you, and if it is found to be working, we may choose to either return or replace it (if we have not already replaced the item) and charge you our costs for testing and postage of the item.

If within 30 days of us replacing equipment that either you report to us as faulty or we ask you to return, you have not returned that equipment, we may either interrupt or restrict access to any service that you take from us until the relevant item is returned, or seek to recover our costs in respect of that item from you via your bill. This does not affect your statutory rights relating to equipment which is faulty or wrongly described."

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Did a live chat session and explained my situation.

They said that it was not neccesary to send back the BT hub and that I will not be charged.

All resolved.

MFF

0 Ratings