cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andysilve
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Router dropping internet connection and no landline?

Hi

I've had an issue with our router dropping connection to the internet ,it only started a couple of days ago up until then connection had been very good.I've also noticed by accident we have no landline just a crackle no dial tone.I've been on livechat and was sent a new router which has had no effect at all .

Help much appreciated

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Router dropping internet connection and no landline?

You need to report a telephone line fault not a broadband fault. Once your phone fault is fixed your broadband will improve.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

I would check that you have no dial tone when using the test socket. If still nothing then report phone fault to 151. Once fixed broadband will improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Welcome to this user forum.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

A new router will make no difference.

0 Ratings
andysilve
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Thanks Keith , It would be nice if live chat had realised this  I mentioned it to them at the time it would have saved BT a router and me 3 wasted days .I knew it wouldn't be the router if Iv'e got a crackley line presumable thats just a stock ansewr to everything ??? 

0 Ratings
andysilve
Contributor
Message 6 of 25

Thanks yes done that and no dial tone 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

@andysilve wrote:

Thanks Keith , It would be nice if live chat had realised this  I mentioned it to them at the time it would have saved BT a router and me 3 wasted days .I knew it wouldn't be the router if Iv'e got a crackley line presumable thats just a stock ansewr to everything ??? 

Live chat cannot hear the noise, and even if they do a line test, it will not show, so they choose the easy way out.

Get the noise fixed, and all will be well.

andysilve
Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Just a quick addition on my first live chat they did something to the line which cleared it ?? I got dial tone ,then my internet dropped out and I lost the landline again....Coincidence ?? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Yes. Just report the phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

@andysilve wrote:

Just a quick addition on my first live chat they did something to the line which cleared it ?? I got dial tone ,then my internet dropped out and I lost the landline again....Coincidence ?? 

If you have a high resistance fault or a bad connection on the network, then if they run a line test, the test voltages can cause a temporary clear, but the fault will always come back.

0 Ratings