cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Router goes blinking yellow EVERY 30 minutes

Hi, 

i've been with BT since late 2018 and never had any issues.

it wasn't until lockdown started (around april) when my connection went down from 67 DL to 40 ish DL. I thought it was because of lockdown and everybody being at home, so didn't care too much. Contract was gonna end so thought about switching to EE. So I switched and I started having a lot of disconnections with them, every hour or so, inteenet would go down for aprox 10 min, making the net very unstable and making it impossible for me to work from home.

I thought switching to EE was the problem so I switched back to BT only to find out I was having the same issue. For a while (a couple of weeks), it stopped disconnecting but our speeds went down from 67 to 25 or less. So I called the engineers again (6th visit) and they changed the wiring (finally they did something!) and it's been 2 days and it's never been worse. We have 30 minutes of internet, then it goes down for an hour (router flashing yellow). Every time. I am so fed up. 
can anyone help me here?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Router goes blinking yellow EVERY 30 minutes

@martha_cd94 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

I don't have a landline to check 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@martha_cd94 wrote:

I don't have a landline to check 

A landline phone is essential for fault finding.

Why do you need phone connected to your line?

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Ok I'll get a landline today and will get back to you

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

I got the landline phone and I have a line and hear no noise at all

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

So when you dial 17070 you hear your number but there is no noise just dead silent?

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability by eliminating your internal wiring and master faceplate

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+2019026901

Firmware version:v0.17.01.12312-BT

Firmware updated:Sat Jul 11 06:15:28 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours07 Mins13 Secs

Data rate:20 Mbps / 77.173 Mbps

Maximum data rate:28.961 Mbps / 79.404 Mbps

Noise margin:11.8 / 6.4

Line attenuation:5.9 / 6.6

Signal attenuation:5.7 / 6.9

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:15.6 MB Uploaded / 28.8 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel6)

5 GHz wireless network name:Abarrotes Chuyin

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel44)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:18:82:8C:11:CF:0C

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

Sin título.png
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Nothing obvious there. If you still have the problem when connected to the test socket (with filter) then you'll have to ring in for an engineer visit.

I take it your issue is with a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Ive had 6 engineer visits so far. I am fed up.

0 Ratings