cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Router loses internet connection

Not sure if this is the right board as do have fibre but not to the house.

Anyway, for some time now the router will regularly lose its connection to the internet. Usually happens around midnight to 2am. 

Can be days sometimes between it happening but it is the router and not the wi-fi. 

Do the usual trouble shooter in Windows. Sometimes it sorts it out after a few goes. Other times it redirects me to my browser to run diagnostic on the router itself and still won't resolve it. Final solution is to power the router off and on. Worse can had to do that a couple of times, then not sure if its my end or the exchange causing the problem.

When problem happens the router light is orange.

Mostly any other time I don't seem to have the problem. 

There's nothing listed in BT fault page for this as far as I can see. More to do with checking the phone line and how to set up your router.

Any ideas why its a fairly regular thing that happens around the same time? Anything being switched over at the exchange? Refreshing DHCP?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Router loses internet connection

Additional. Did it again tonight around the same time 00:25.
Router lost connection. Tried all troubleshooting from my computer.
web page opened diagnostic for Smart Hub (showing image with orange light). Started troubleshooting as usual. Came back to phone 0800 number saying would take 20 minutes to go through. Not bothering at this time of night. Ended up going to the router, which was displaying a blue light! powering it off and back on. Back to the computer and it connected and failed again. But troubleshoot via Windows again and finally the internet connection kept up.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Grrr 

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Sorry for the connection problems you're having.  Run through this page and post back to let us know how you get on:  BT Broadband connection problems

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Robbie, will do. Will get back to you in a couple of days.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Grrr wrote:
Thanks Robbie, will do. Will get back to you in a couple of days.

No problem @Grrr 

There is always someone around to lend a hand 😊

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi Robbie

just went down again on 10/08/20 at 00:31 so went through your link. 

Service status for the area shows no problems though when i put in my phone number it showed a fault reported -see below. Couldn't say I've noticed the phone issue as never really make calls out and never receive many incoming. I can say I've been using it between those dates and didn't notice any issues.

I haven't kept a check on dates when the problem happens but  it does seem to happen most of the time between 00:20 and 00:40, with few exceptions.

Didn't restart hub this time, just run trouble shooter on windows a couple of times and it finally came back. Previously I've had to restart the hub, showing orange lights. Even then had to do it a number of times even when it was showing blue. Think last Thursday after another reconnect, when using my works laptop Friday morning it wouldn't connect properly (having a VPN for work). Had to restart the router and the laptop assume to refresh the DNS, before was able to connect. That took me nearly an hour messing around.

I don't have a test socket to check. 

Only thing haven't done is when the router loses connection to the internet is to check the phone. Though done it after resetting and its fine.

Wi-fi strength is fairly stable after an incident. Never really suffer poor wi-fi overall.

I have wondered if it was something to do with the phone line to the pole as a tree's branches on the roadside have been stretching the line down more and more. Its taken ages to get the local authority to finally say they will come out and cut it (still to happen) and after contacting Openreach they wont do anything even though its damaging their equipment. So ended up going back to the LA who have finally confirmed the work. Even so I cant see it being that as the drop out is pretty regular time wise, otherwise I'd be getting it all times of day and night if it was the cable being damaged.

sped fault.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Grrr,

Thanks for posting. You've mentioned not having a test socket but are you able to try the quiet line test? Just dial 17070 option 2. Let me know what you find.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi DavidM
I’ve run the quiet line test a number of times and it’s all clear
0 Ratings