The problem is as titled, this however is for me to test if I am overreacting or justifiably annoyed. Engineer was sent out to us the very next morning after reporting fault, his diagnostic tool detected a great signal but also couldn't sync. He went to our cabinet less than 200m away from us and immediately synchronised, phoned his gaffer who told him to check the type of wire coming into the house from the junction box at our roofline. He told me it should be black, ours is brown which indicates its the wrong grade, but can't replace now as its too dark. OK fine no problem. I track the fault this morning, shows his visit, and estimated fix date of 4th Dec. I ring BT to get an actual appointment, to be told they can't give me an appointment as the engineer doesn't need access to our property, I explain what the engineer has told me and that to replace the wire they will need access and therefore an appointment to make sure we are in, it then basically descends into me replying 'oh yes he will' to everyone of the advisors 'oh no he won't' until I ask to speak to someone else. The advisor then contacts openreach to query and then comes back to me saying that they have allowed her to make an appointment for me 'if I am so worried' but by making this appointment it could delay my fix and be after the 4th of Dec as the earliest one they can offer me is the 6th of December. So I'm left with a choice of no appt but they possibly arrive when we are out to somehow magically install a line into our home and wire it into our master socket without accessing our property, or get an appt delaying our fix but at least we know we can be in. Took the appointment obviously because Harry Potter doesn't work for Open reach but seriously **bleep** off and I can't even get in touch with Openreach as everything is handled by the middleman BT despite them all being part of the same group. Am I being unreasonable being really ****ed off?
Okay so this mornings update, at 6am router actually syncs after 48hrs of constantly trying. I take my son up to school and just as I'm seeing him off at the door I get a call, initially I think its a scam because of the very thick accent but it turns out she was from Openreach and 'we need to book an engineers visit because we need access to your property' HUZZAH! The metaphorical left hand and right hand had groped around in the dark until they had finally met! The next question from the Openreach operator 'Can I book you an appointment for tomorrow'? My reply 'Yes please, that would be fine', Operator 'Thank you' and disconnects. So wait not even an approximate 5 hour slot? Oh well beggars can't be choosers.
I had been thinking though about the whole wrong grade of cable diagnoses, okay its the wrong grade, fine lets get that replaced if so, but it had worked, albeit with variable amounts of line noise, and by that I mean some days it was crackling like hell, and then others not even the slightest sound of interference; it had worked for over a year like that. I just cant help thinking the cable is not the whole story, what about the black junction box up near our roofline, could weather be a factor? Could the box have water in it from all the rain we've had, this morning that water would have frozen hence our reconnect or does water not affect the workings inside? Hopefully tomorrows engineer will take a good look at said box when rewiring down the face of the house
If the junction box outside needs replacing the engineer will do so. You'll likely find the engineer ringing you first thing in the morning to let you know he/she is on their way. I would expect it to be the first job.
Let us know how you get on.
Thank you. I've lost my engineer tomorrow already, thought I would be helpful and ring BT and let them know I had been contacted, verify the details and then cancel the Friday appt so someone else could have it. BT advisor couldn't find any other appointment (still Friday 6th December) although he did find notes added to my account at the time of open reach calling me. He said he would check again at 12.30 to see if a manual adjustment was waiting to be processed and call open reach if nothing changed to try and arrange a more immediate appt than Friday. Haven't heard anything so I guess I'm stuck with Friday, so now to decide do I ring up again when I know all I'm going to get is frustration with a BT advisor who is only allowed to do what their hands are tied to do, and Open reach can sit behind them and just defiantly hold their ground on the basis that I tried pressing for a date the other day. Boiling is the word. Update: Okay so I phoned them and got into another argument over what happened to me whilst the advisor wasn't there, so I'm guessing BT's default stance is customers are mad or liars. Phone call to me this morning was from 0800 328 9393 offering me an appointment tomorrow, so either it was the most coincidental scam in that they phoned exactly as updates to my account happened, or as a number search suggests it is a number used by BT. Anyway still don't know whether to stay in tomorrow just in case as all BT can see is the appointment they booked for me.
I would advise you not to ring in again and be in for the appointed time tomorrow.
If the engineer turns up tomorrow he will rectify the issue and sign the job off, the Friday appointment will automatically be cancelled once he signs it off.
Update: No engineer turned up tuesday, as tomorrow's appt shows up and have received confirmation notifications I'm confident that will go ahead.
In summary: After diagnosis by engineer 28 Nov, estimated repair date 4th Dec, got pushed back to 6th Dec because I tried to book an appointment as property access is needed. Open reach phoned me the following morning (2nd Dec) and asked if they could book an appointment for me for the next day 3rd Dec which I accepted, appointment appears never processed. Talked to 4 BT advisors, 2 were fine and helpful, 2 were argumentative (first contradicting everything the engineer said to me, the second denying I had received a call from an Open reach representative).