cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Router resets / speed limiting

I've had BT in my new house for 2 years. My contract just came up for renewal but I haven't done so yet. I was happy with my speed but now have big issues.

In the past year I have been getting 40mb/s connection speeds (after getting a BT engineer to come and fix my line initially).
Since lockdown my router reset itself constantly, or at least the network hub decided to reset it. Now I get 20mb/s speeds. I have left the router alone and eventually this rises to 30 but after 2 days it falls back to 20 mb/s. I don't know what to do to sort this.
There should be nothing that has changed to stop me getting 40mb/s again.

Can anyone advise? I need to post some information here but unsure what. I'm quite smart with IT things so I can help to diagnose the issue.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Router resets / speed limiting

Hi @CraigRD Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your broadband speed.  I've moved your thread over to the fibre section of the community as this is the best place to get help with this problem.  

Can you post your Home Hub router stats and we'll take a look? You'll get them by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser, if you have a home hub 5 please go to troubleshooting then helpdesk, if its a Smart Hub go to advanced settings then technical log information. 

I'd also recommend you do a quiet line test  by dialing 17070 and selecting option 2 it should be silent.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Please see the contents of the technical log.

My hub has restarted 6 times in last half hour. So there is a fault somewhere for sure i just don't know where. This is not the normal case though as I had nice relatively fast speeds for a long time

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

<removed by me>

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

24-Mar-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 3 Minutes 26 Seconds

Data rate:

7.16 Mbps / 22.61 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

7162 / 22818

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 5 dB

Line attenuation:

30.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

24.6 dB / 30.6 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

3 MB Uploaded / 83 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-C57C

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-C57C

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

<removed by me>

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Do you have dial tone? If so dial 17070 option 2  should be silent a d best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I don't have a phone at all sadly

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

That us most basic test for problems like yours  can you borrow one or a cheap coded phone is less than £10  making other changes is pointless until you know if you actually have a working phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Ok I'll do this. I can borrow one from work.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi all

My router is still resetting and now has a 17mb/s connection speed. Therefore, I will try and get a BT engineer out. There must be some problem somewhere along the way

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

did you check for line noise with quiet line test

if problem with your internal setup or wiring then you will be charged £85 for engineer visit

0 Ratings