cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Routers

Go to solution

Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place. 

I've had an offer to upgrade to Full Fibre for no extra cost. I'm currently on the 72Mb downloads and use a Smart Hub 2 with a disc to boost the signal on our 2nd floor (we live in a 3 story townhouse).

My question is could I keep this set up if I upgrade, or will I need to have a new router? Also, if I can't use the disc, what are the alternatives to body the signal on our top floor?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Routers

Go to solution

if you already have a SH2 then you should not need a replacement when moved to FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
All that will change is that the ONT that will be installed when you go to FTTP will be connected to the WAN RJ45 input on your SH2. The current connection from the BT master socket to the RJ11 input on the SH2 will be disconnected.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, I'm really sorry but I have absolutely no idea what all those initials mean!!

Thanks anyway

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

ONT – Optical Network Terminal or Termination…the box on the wall with lights on that connects you to a full fibre FTTP connection.  Also sometimes called an ONU.

FTTP – Fibre to the Premises.  A “Full Fibre” connection, optical fibre to the house.  FTTC/VDSL is Fibre to the Cabinet/Very high data rate Digital Subscriber Line.  A hybrid fibre connection.  Optical fibre to the street cabinet, then the old copper phone line from there to the house.  Your router connects to the old master phone socket. Referred to as just “Fibre”, (to confuse everyone).  ADSL...Aysymmetric Digital Subscriber Line.  The old copper phone line all the way back to the exchange.  Fairly rare now.

WAN – Wide Area Network…Your connection to the outside world.  (A LAN is Local Area Network…the network inside your house).  Port 4 on the SH2 can be switched to act as the WAN port.

RJ45 – Registered Jack 45…what everyone today refers to (incorrectly) as an ethernet plug/socket.  The socket ethernet cables plug into to connect your devices to the router.

RJ11 – Registered Jack 11…smaller than an RJ45.  The socket/plug to connect your router to the phone socket or filter.  (As far as phones go, BT opted for their own design, the BT 431A or 631A plug…your typical phone plug.  Internationally the RJ11 is more common and this tends to be how equipment connects to the wall socket).

SH2 – Smart Hub 2…BT’s latest router.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Thank you, that's really helpful.
0 Ratings