cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markyd91
Contributor
Message 51 of 59

Re: Routing problems / Cardiff

Karen, thanks for the update. So if it's not the card then it's a NETWORK PROBLEM eh, so basically what they are saying is that if it's not the card then they just don't know.

Keeping fingers crossed here.
0 Ratings
Rabbit51
Contributor
Message 52 of 59

To anyone who's listening...!

I could rip my hair out.

Just had a call from BT. The operator had earlier called 'the team' to see if my problem was being addressed. My engineer yesterday logged the problem as, I think she said, 'low connection'. This is entirely different from 'slow download' it appears. So, although we all know what we're talking about, my fault 3388 has been closed.

Do you understand that? I don't. So.... IF I want to raise a new complaint BT will send out another engineer - to see what it was that the first engineer did - her words.

OK, I wasn't mad before but this is just so ridiculous.... I'm close to calling it a day with BT and, heaven knows I've been with them for years. Mark... I don't suppose you have anything?

Desperate of Cardiff 

1610. Update...

Another update - I'm going to have a 'boost engineer' from Infinity call next Tuesday morning. I did ask the operator why, when it has been established that the fault is not in my equipment but in Cabinet 13, I have to have an engineer at all. The response was - to make sure you stay indoors. OK, now I'm laughing again 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
markyd91
Contributor
Message 53 of 59

Karen.

I'm not overly surprised. BT are a joke, over a month now with download speeds of 0.86mbps and they have still not fixed it.

As far as I am aware my fault (same as yours) is with level 2 OpenReach. Not heard anything in the past few days.

Mark
0 Ratings
markyd91
Contributor
Message 54 of 59

Karen,

Update. I have another engineer coming on Friday afternoon. No doubt he will test the connection, swap the hub, call up his help desk, go through all of there speed tests until he gets through to second line tech support they will tell him to do the RAVE speed test. This will find there is a problem on the OpenReach network which won't get fixed and this time next week I will be on engineer visit number 7.

Dejavu? Let's see how many more weeks this will take. I'm on 5 weeks now. They should call it infinity for the amount of time it takes them to resolve an open reach network problem.
0 Ratings
Rabbit51
Contributor
Message 55 of 59

Sigh...

Well, the Openreach engineer (a very nice & helpful chap) has been here for an hour or so. He didn't bother testing my equipment because we all know that it is not 'our' problem but BT's - so that was an imporvement. He contacted a 2nd line engineer who instructed him to donwload a Java thingy which enabled him (the other chap) to conduct a CTH test (?) remotely. This showed that the problem is with (I think) the Openreach cabinet. Who knew? 😐

Anyway, this other chap has now raised a new job (#3527). The word going round is that it will be fixed 'this week' and is 'top of the pile of jobs' i.e. we may actually have reached Defcon 1 at last 🙂

During the course of the visit, it was revealed that we're not alone - no suprises there - I think they have about thirteen other reports, all of exactly the same problem - the complainanants include a 'nearby military base' and a school, not to mention us private residents (two in my road alone). I think they would have many more complaints but, of course, not everyone will have noticed - if you don't play streaming video or download large files you may just think things are a little slow.

In fairness (I have to try) the engineer did say that he had NEVER seen the strange phenomenon before - what is happening, and why the problem has taken so long to pin down probably, is that the tests show that the line speed coming to our house appears to be as it should be (in my case on Infinity 1, about 40Mbps) but, as soon as any demand is made of it i.e. a computer is connected, the speed drops through the floor. No-one seems to understand how this can happen and is probably why BT keep sending engineers out to people's houses because they think all is well with their system. However, all will be well as they now know that it is NOTHING to do with the consumers and EVERYTHING to do with their own cabinet. Worse case scenario - they have to replace the whole thing; best case scenario - they renew linecard 1 and it all works again. The fact that my engineer was able to speak to the man that he did means that they could run the test that identified the exact fault and so it can now be repaired. I live in hope.

Karen 

0 Ratings
markyd91
Contributor
Message 56 of 59

Karen, thanks for the info.

Only time will tell. Hopefully my next message will be one of success.

Mark
0 Ratings
Rabbit51
Contributor
Message 57 of 59

Hurrah 🙂

Put on my PC and could play music and download an image.... it just came back!!! Now back up to a head spinning 38.19Mbps.

Happy me... thank you BT

Check it out Mark..

Karen

0 Ratings
markyd91
Contributor
Message 58 of 59

Karen.

Yeah your right. Speed is back up to 55 which is nice. So yes thank you BT would love to know what the issue was. Hopefully now when it settles I will get my speed back up to what it was in the high 60's but for now I'm more than happy.

Nice speaking to you Karen, if you see a guy in a blue and grey coat walking two dogs up by the Taff trail by the river that's me btw so pop over and say hello.

Take care.

Mark
0 Ratings
Rabbit51
Contributor
Message 59 of 59

Hi Mark

I'll be sure and keep my eyes open - could get me into heaps of trouble though, chatting up all those strange men on the river bank 🙂

Cheers

Karen

0 Ratings