Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mark9521
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Rubber banding issue- Only on Xbox live

Go to solution

I've had this rubber banding issue for a few months now. Whenever I play online multiplayer on my Xbox One, every 5-10 minutes or so I'll have this awful rubber banding that lasts about 10 or so seconds. 

• Rubber banding – Your character is running toward a destination and then jumps back to where it was a few seconds prior.
  • example one of what i experince https://imgur.com/GFvOdeM
  • Example two slightly diffrent where this explains i have lost connection and then return 10 seconds later https://imgur.com/bKFhxWa

When this happens, my ping does not spike in game. My internet is Bt Infinity 60Mb download and 20Mb upload and the ping sits between 25-50 whenever i do speedtests. The connection is Perfectly fine on every other device in the house, I also play games on PC and this issue doesnt happen at all it will only happen on the Xbox while online gaming.

I recently contacted BT Helpline over the phone to see if it was an issue with the router or the Line maybe, so they said they would send out a new Hub 6 box to replace my current Hub 6 and the problems continued sadly, i even Bought a new Xbox One X as my current one was old and sadly the problems was still present 

I am using a Wifi connection. My router is close by as well, but it's in the other room and I really can't run an ethernet cable into it to my Xbox unless it's through the wall. I used to have a Home hub 5 about 8 months ago and had no issues at all with it and that was always through a wireless connection.

I have tried every opition on the Home hub manager like 

• Port forwarding 
  • Putting the console into the DMZ
  • Tried all 4 channels on the 2.4ghz band and all 4 channels on the 5Ghz band
  • Tried changing the hub into Mode 1 - 2 and 3 
  • Sitting a manual Ip address 
  • turning off Extended UPnP security
  • also tired factory reseting both hubs even the brand new one out of the box
  • Tried contecting to the main port in the wall incase that was fualty
  • Playing online with everyother device on the network off 

Here are some of the Stats in my hub info

Product name:BT Hub 6A
Serial number:+084319+NQ73095369
Firmware version:SG4B1000B316
Firmware updated:11-Nov-2017
Board version:1.0
Gui version:1.64.0
Data rate: 19.34 Mbps / 60.79 Mbps
Maximum data rate:19425 / 61615
Noise margin:6.1 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation:16.7 dB
VPI / VCI:0/38
Modulation:G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type:Fast Path

I tried googling this issue and found very few posts anywhere and next to none fixes/solitions 

I can provide any information required through the technical log or anything that could help 

Does anyone know what the issue might be? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Rubber banding issue- Only on Xbox live

Go to solution
Wireless is subject to a lot of external interference a hard wired connection is always going to be the most reliable also you say there is no problem with other device it really confirms you have wireless problem
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Had a quick look round and it seems to be an issue that's been around for a couple of years or more.  Affecting users on many different ISPs and in several countries.

In the UK, Virgin and TalkTalk customers are affected as well.  Various makes of routers are being used so hard to pinpoint anything local to the users.  Consensus seems to be the game servers to blame.

You might want to think about getting an ethernet cable through the wall, wireless is not the best for gaming.  Many different sources of interference can cause drops.

Router stats look ok.  If the connection is fine for all other devices and both Xboxes display the same problem the game server is looking guilty.

You could try different DNS servers in the Xbox, a long shot but might help.  Some DNS server addresses if you want to try them.

OpenDNS

OpenDNS Filtered servers: DNS servers that block adult content(apparently)

OpenDNS IPV6

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

Google

Google IPv6

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

Verisign

Verisign IPv6

2620:74:1b::1:1

2620:74:1c::2:2

Mark9521
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Liam thanks for looking into the problem im having I will try to go through those DNS Servers Hopefully one of them works Do you personnaly think getting a New hub Netgear, tp-link etc would help as I said in my post this issue wasnt an issue with my old Home hub 5 Over the wireless, i know wireless can have problems and will always not be reccomended but just seems so odd that it has only occured on the Hub 6

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

A third party router would give better performance than any ISP one. You could also give powerline adapters a try.

Mark9521
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Would you reccommend a particaular make of Powerline Adaptor or do they mainly do the same job Ive looked at them before so was considering that as an opition Thanks for Replying :)!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Can you not somehow connect the Xbox with Ethernet cable to router to see if that solves the problem before getting power line adapters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

As @pippincp says a third party router would certainly help things along.  With the proviso that the game servers are functioning properly. On the subject of routers, seeing as the Xbox supports IPv6 you may find gaming better using that.  This in turn rules out Netgear and Linksys routers, they both do not support IPv6 properly and they have no plans to do anything about fixing the problem.

Asus, Billion, DrayTek, FritzBox routers support IPv6 out of the box and some TP-Link routers also support IPv6, might have to update firmware on them though. There are likely other makes but can't couch for any not mentioned.  Best to look around and list a couple of routers then ask here again to see if someone uses it/them and can advise further.  If getting a replacement router it must support VDSL.

The Hub 6 has had (still has?) it's share of issues, some reports of ethernet ports not working properly and poor wireless on some.

No idea about power line adapters, don't use them, sorry.

0 Ratings
Mark9521
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I could try that yes Not long term but as a test, If it did turn out to be the wireless connection that is causing all these issues and by what you guys are saying im now 99% sure it is:) would the powerline adaptors be ok as a replacement for the direct wired connection.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Just a thought about an ethernet cable.  A single run can be up to about 100M (328 feet).  It could be run along the skirting (the cable comes in loads of colours) round the door frames etc.  Had to do that here from front ground floor wall to upstairs back wall (more or less) it was a new build and couldn't drill holes inside the first year.  It works fine so I left it as is.  Likely cheaper than the power line adapters.

0 Ratings