cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phillevans
Message 1 of 8

Rubbish Wifi speed - should I move home Hub upstairs to improve wireless signal?, please help

Hi 

I have had BT infinity since Oct 2011. I live in a 3 Storey house. My first BT socket is on the ground floor and that is where the Bt infinity home hub is situated. 

Initially no issues all fantastic until I bought Apple TV for the lounge on the next floor up. Massive problems with streaming and buffering. 

I now have added a number of other devices that run off wifi in the house and my connection speed / ability to stream is poor. 

I subsequently bought a TP - Link wireless Range Extender to try and fix the problem. This hasn't really fixed anything... The TP Link tells me its working and boosting "A" signal but if it is I'm not sure its boosting mine??? No real way of knowing if its linked specifically to my personal home hub or one of my neighbours. 

After sharing my problems with others apparently my BT Infinity Home Hub should be positioned in the centre of the house (on my middle floor) 

My Question(s)

1. How do I fix my problem 
  2. Do I need to move my home hub, if so how do I do this?

Regards

Phill

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rubbish Wifi speed - should I move home Hub upstairs to improve wireless signal?, please help

Have you looked into getting homeplugs? These use your existing electrical wiring to distribute your internet connection to any room.

Phillevans
Message 3 of 8

Re: Rubbish Wifi speed - should I move home Hub upstairs to improve wireless signal?, please help

Is that home Plug solution also an wifi range extender as well? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

The majority of powerline adaptors do not have wifi capability.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@Phillevans wrote:

Is that home Plug solution also an wifi range extender as well? 

The homeplug I have PM'd you has wifi built into it, so there is no need fore an extender as you get full strengh from the homeplug upstairs.

0 Ratings
Phillevans
Message 6 of 8

Cheers Guys 

This does sound like a plan as I could use the powerline and hard wire the Apple TV so I get max broad band plus boot wi-fi on that specific floor... If I understand this solution correctly 

All I've go to do now sell all the other gadgets that have failed. 

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@Phillevans wrote:

Cheers Guys 

This does sound like a plan as I could use the powerline and hard wire the Apple TV so I get max broad band plus boot wi-fi on that specific floor... If I understand this solution correctly 

All I've go to do now sell all the other gadgets that have failed. 

Your very welcome 🙂

Yes, that is the best solution and yes you have understood it correctly. 🙂

Phillevans
Message 8 of 8

OK brilliant.... I'll report back in a few days when your recommendation arrives... gone for a triple so I can plug my sky box in as well Smiley Happy

0 Ratings