cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: Running an extension

Cat7 for a telephone extension is overkill. More twists mean the length is longer than a cat5. May cause a little more loss on the broadband than using cat5. 

0 Ratings
RDowson
Contributor
Message 12 of 17

I'll get him to use cat5 then. Would there be any speed loss compared to connecting straight from the master socket?

0 Ratings
RDowson
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Is there any type of RJ11 socket that would be best?

0 Ratings
ubysam
Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Is he moving the phone or broadband (or both?)

if broadband - cat 5/e will more than suffice as it supports 1gbps

cat6 is basically reinforced cat5e to try and ensure bend radius and ensure the above

cat7 iirc is also individually screened to support 10gps

**edit** you original post says telephone extension so ignore the above

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

@RDowson wrote:

I'm planning on relocating all my AV/Comms to a cupboard under ther stairs.

The installer is going to leave the NTE5 socket where it is and wire an extension, I assyme from the back of the faceplate, to the cupboard. He will use Cat7 cable to wire it up.

Will this be ok given the quality of cable to be used and the relativelty short distance that it'll run?

To be clear, it's not running an ethernet cable. It's a telephone extension using Cat7 cable.

What happens with the filtered faceplate that sits between the NTE5 back box and the faceplate?

I assume he knows what he's doing as he does this for a living and has had no issues before. I just wondered how he does it.

Jeeze, You have said the man does it for a living and you have had no issues with him, can you not just leave him to get on with his job!!

0 Ratings
RDowson
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

I work in IT Infrastructure. I'm curious about all things relating to networks and cables!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

Fair enough but I think that you should leave the man to get on with it without telling him his job or what cables to use. Either that or do it yourself.

If he is any good, which you seem to think he is I'm sure he would be able to answer your questions about what and why he is doing what he is doing and he would probably take exception to being told what cables he should be using because you have checked up on a forum, which is giving you differing opinions.

0 Ratings