Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 48

Re: SLOW SPEEDS

@Drew5920 wrote:
4.2GB I was shattered when it finished that is why I am saying that fibre to the property is urgent and would beat Virgin πŸ˜”

So how many times a day do you download files of that size?

0 Ratings
Drew5920
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 48

I have a LOT of friends on Virgin and WHO have problems  down loading files of up to 17 GB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 48

@Drew5920 wrote:

Have done that already it was the EA on the Xbox when the engineer done a dmc and got me to 61mbs it would not have taken that long this is what I am saying if they do a DMC and you get 61mbs for a good month they why can't they keep that speed for good and not for the short time 😞

I was interested to know what you needed 100/150Mbps for in comparison to what you are estimated to get but you haven't really answered that.

As regards your problem. If your line is capable of 61Mbps and you are not getting that you should report a fault. It sounds like all the engineer did was reset your line without repairing the underlying fault that is causing your speeds to drop.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 14 of 48

@Drew5920 wrote:

I have a LOT of friends on Virgin and WHO have problems  down loading files of up to 17 GB

I have a LOT of friends on Virgin who have no problems downloading 25GB files.

0 Ratings
Drew5920
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 48

I did answer your question I will repeat 100 to 150 Mbps would down load a game that is say 60 GB would down load in no  time at all the engineer explained what he had done but BT will be calling me back tomorrow and not to be rude but what do you use your internet for as I am a gamer and the new games are up to 75gb and in this day and age the speed should be more and constant as a big company that are investing in the system it is being done one on the cheap with FTTC  

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 48

As gamers are still a minority when it comes to internet usage ATM, why should ISP's up their speeds and charge the rest of their user base the extra cost of bandwidth just for a small proportion of their customers?

Bandwidth does not come free. Why should I (or any other customer) as a non gamer pay extra for my connection just to provide you with a means to download a game faster?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 48

A file that size would take about one and a half hours on a 100Mbps connection and just over 2 hours on a 60Mbps connection so not exactly "no time at all" and not a million miles away from the 60Mbps connection.

Of course it is being done "on the cheap" because Openreach are a commercial company who want to make money from the ISPs and the ISPs want to make money from the customer.

If they put in FTTP all over the UK they would have to pass that cost onto the customer which would mean more expensive broadband prices for everybody. At present UK broadband is amongst the cheapest in Europe and cheaper than the USA .

If it wasn't so expensive to put FTTP  it would be done all over the UK and that includes Virgin who only do it in selected commercially viable areas.

I don't download games but I do stream movies and catchup TV etc as do others in my household at the same time and find that I have no problems with my 14Mbps connection.

0 Ratings
Drew5920
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 48

as the norm why should I do this why should I do that at the END we all pay it is not just for  gamers but business as well but hey not in my back yard I will sit and put up with the speeds what about people in rural areas No well think about what you said oh and what you put you discriminat against gamers 

0 Ratings
Drew5920
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 48

Even though there is a EU directive and why are ISO like SKY and talk talk taken these complaints to OFCOM? Some times I wounder about some people 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 48

@Drew5920 wrote:

Even though there is a EU directive and why are ISO like SKY and talk talk taken these complaints to OFCOM? Some times I wounder about some people 

What on earth are you talking about!!

0 Ratings