cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

SNR Margin changes caused my line down rate to reduce by almost half.

Go to solution

BT sent me and email saying they were upgrading my ADSL line to Superfast Fibre stating that my speed should increase by 3X!  As I ways already connected to a FFTC service, but at a distance of over 1.5 Kilometers getting a consistent download rate of 11.6Mbps I was doubtful of this. After the hangover my download speed dropped from 11.6 Mbps to 8.6 Mbps!  The difference appeared to be caused by changes made to my SNR margins.

The previous service had the SNR Margin Down = 6.00dB; SNR Margin Up=3.1dB

The new service has the SNR Margin Down = 0.00dB; SNR Margin Up=6.00dB 

Can someone confirm these values are correct and if not what should they be?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: SNR Margin changes caused my line down rate to reduce by almost half.

Go to solution

Post your router/hub stats. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

check for line noise dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

My line is completely clear of any noise! My line has been working perfectly up until BT implemented the 'swap to fibre' last week. I have checked with BT on this and was told that they has swapped me 'from copper to copper'?

Openreach tell me that my line is capable of 12Mbps and I was getting 11.6Mbps to 12.2Mbps whenever I checked. This has been the case now for over 18 months ever since I upgraded to a BT Smart Hub.

The changeover to Fibre throughout my area has been on the cards for over two years since the rest of the village got FTTC from their local cabinets. Unfortunately I am still plugged into one of those 'local' cabinets which is some 1.5K from my house.  

Hope you can come up with a solution because BT appear to be dragging their feet as they now say my line is working perfectly even though I only get 8.6Mbps max!

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Can you post your hub stats as requested?

0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

The hub stats below are from the period before the 'upgrade'  when my link was working in ADSL mode.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 12.36.31.png

 The stats now show that I am currently running in VDSL mode but at a much lower data rate.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 12.44.06.png

 The above is the latest available entry on my hub although its in constant use?

I have attached below a speed test taken in the last few minutes when nothing else is using my link.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 12.47.17.png

 Hope this is enough info for you to help with my problem. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@Rob-Sharpe 

Then you may be  too far from the cabinet to get any benefit from the "upgrade" and you would be better reverting back to ADSL. The webpage below should give you the expected connection range for your line. You are getting a faster upstream connection speed, so that may be helpful to you.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

that is not the hub stats  stats are found by going to advanced settings then technical log information - you are posting the WAN log

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Below are the Hub stats as of now.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 14.56.24.png

 Hope this helps?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

thanks

just need dslchecker results now to compare

0 Ratings
Rob-Sharpe
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

I hope this manages to clear up my problem. It clearly shows that ADSL is much faster than VDSL. I think that BT have made a mistake in changing me to VDSL?

0 Ratings