Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clansman007
Contributor
Message 11 of 47

Re: SNR Margin on VDSL compared to SNR MArgin on ADSL

Thanks pippincp

When I was on the phone to support, I said to the operative that I wasnt happy with the "acceptable to drop 6 times a day" and asked to speak with his manager.

The lass called back and is just off the phone and I have an engineer booked for 2nd April between 1pm and 6pm so thats a step forward.

I will still post the results of my monitoring over the next couple of days as well.

If you want, you can hold off on the Mod assistance till I see what the engineer visit shows. Or if its too late for that, I will watch out for their contact and take it from there

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 12 of 47

Hi Clansman007,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

I am glad to see that we have now arranged for an engineer to go out.  To be honest this would have been our move as well.  There is very little we can do on Infinity connections, remotely.  Best let the engineer have a crack at this to see if he can identify any problems.

Please report back here when the engineer has been, if he hasn't been able to resolve this then we can take a peek for you and see what the story is.  Hopefully for your sake this engineer can sort the problem.

Cheers

Sean 

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
clansman007
Contributor
Message 13 of 47

Hi SeanD

A big thanks to you for your response - it is very much appreciated.

I will let you know how it goes on Wednesday but fingers crossed it will be sorted.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 14 of 47

Folks, we've noticed something 'similar' on our HH5. But it takes 2 weeks for the SNR to drop then the line resets itself. We had a reset yesterday - over the last 2 weeks the SNR went from 6.5, then 6.4 after a couple of days, then 6.3 for a week, then suddenly 6.2 and eventually we were seeing 6.1 over the weekend.  Then yesterday morning it reset the line.  Came home to find the IP address had changed, and the connected time had reset itself.  But in our case we had an IP profile of around 75.5, then it went up to 75.9 after the reset yesterday.  Is this normal? i.e. DLM working correctly?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 47

Yes, that's DLM working in all it's glory. From your description it sounds like there is a noise source knocking out bins on your connection that is leading to your SNRM being reduced until your connection becomes unusable, which is fixed by a reboot.

The could be caused by REIN. Do you have any long cables between the master and the modem, or even overhead lines from a pole and a local transmitter or radar?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 16 of 47

No long cables - just the supplied ones that came with the HH5. Have had a look at the pole and cable to the house and can't see anything amiss.  Definitely no radar or local transmitters in the area.

Could there be something wrong in the wiring of the master socket, or the internal phone wiring (we have 3 extensions in the house)?  Although have had OpenReach engineers look at everything and they've categorically said we've got a "crystal clear" line and no inteference at all.  They even changed the cable from the pole to the house last year.  Really frustrating this - as we can see the line/modem trying it's very best to achieve the max down rate, but getting thwarted at the end!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 17 of 47

It may be something you can cure by getting a "Tandy High Speed RJ11 DSL Cable 0.5m" which is twisted-pair to eliminate noise, or even the Mk2 Openreach master socket which has a REIN filter.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 18 of 47

Thanks. Can't hurt to invest in a 1m cable.  But are you suggesting I remove the faceplate and connect it straight into the master socket?

This is the type of master socket we have installed - could there be fault in the socket itself or its wiring?

faceplate.jpg

0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 19 of 47

Apologies folks.  Just realised what legitimise was referring to.  Thanks legitimise! Have ordered a MK2 faceplate and 0.5 Tandy cable.  Fingers crossed it helps somewhat!

Will the faceplate be a simple matter of screwing onto the existing lower faceplate, behind the NE5?  No rewiring I hope!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 47

Yes it is that simple.

0 Ratings