Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 39

Re: SNR like a roller-coaster ? - help

What would be a better faceplate to use ? thanks

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 39

I use that faceplate without any problems. You just need to make sure that you clip in place correctly and avoid any further contact and it will be fine

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 39

....oh dear... i seem to have been too quick to assume I had discovered the problem.

seems its not my cordless house phone at all.... it was just a coincidence that the SNR dropped at the same time i disconnected it to test. 

I even bought new phones, same problem. I bought a new complete nte5c mk2 and MK4 faceplate, same problem! Tested the silence test, clear as a bell.  And im still getting occasional line drops , 1 a day usually...

SNR is still up and down. It can go as low as 2 and high as 12! (highest yet today?) That cant be within normal expectations surely ?

Anything else I can try ??

SNRM 24th June 2021.png

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 39

Normally your noise margin should be static with maybe fluctuating by +/- 0.1db

Do you have any extension sockets. Did you check there was no dial tone when you connected to the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 15 of 39

Hi, no extensions.

my line comes in at the front of my house and into the openreach socket/mk4 faceplate. (uses two wires only)

double socket (BB and landline)

the dsl line is cat6'd to the modem , the landline goes to a cordless Dect phone.

do i not need a dial tone to do the quiet test ?

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 39

@xlr8r wrote:

do i not need a dial tone to do the quiet test ?

thanks

What @imjolly  meant was make sure there is no dial tone at an extension socket when faceplate removed at master to reveal test socket. I.e make sure extension socket is wired correctly from faceplate rather than star wired. Irrelevant in your case as you have no extensions.

Message 17 of 39

It certainly looks as though there is some sort of interference coming and going at those times. Its weird that the noise margin increases rather than decreases though as though the interference is there most of the time and then goes off for a while.

Message 18 of 39

thanks

i am at a loss as to the cause of the interference. in a last ditch effort , i even bought some RFI  & EMI material to shield everything that could potentially cause interference... no difference at all.

Tried switching everything off in the house, bar the router and modem, no difference...

willing to trade my soul with the Devil now for FTTP !

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 39

To be honest, I'm not sure why you are so concerned as your speed is not being affected by the fluctuations.

Bear in mind the source of any interference may not be in your house.

Message 20 of 39

thanks, but it does affect it, 

1. it drops the line almost daily

2. my line speed rises and falls by roughly 10Mbps in parallel to SNRM

also, does it make any difference whatsoever if you make the modem handle the PPPoE , or the Router ? I ask because i seem to automatically lose another 10Mbps from modem to Router when letting the Router handle it...

* there must have been an epic Solar Flare this am just before 12 noon ? Quite a spike on both Up and Down...followed by a weird drop (flatlined also?) maybe line died for a while, not sure...I was at work.

SNRM-Spike.png

Current stats , just now 17:15 25-6-2021

Current stats.png

0 Ratings