cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: SUPERFAST FIBRE UNLIMITED. VERY SLOW

Thanks for confirming. Are you able to post the line stats when the Hub is connected to the test socket and isn't?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 21

@Techwizz wrote:

Your line is syncing below the estimate range for your number. However, it is above the handback threshold. Is the Hub connected to the test socket?

His line is syncing below the range A handback threshold which is good enough reason for an engineer visit providing the test socket is used and no extentions are working.

0 Ratings
MAPPER
Beginner
Message 13 of 21

Hello again Techwizz

To eliminate any problems with the internal phone line wiring ( mostly hidden under carpet,etc) I have now used a 20m phone cable from the BT test socket to the BT Hub - one filter at Hub end and no phones or extra phone sockets connected. BT Wholesale Speed test gives 18.06 download and shows maximum possible as 18.68 !!  After 6 days of testing etc it seems to me now that BT is putting a cap of some kind on my speed which is very significantly lower than "promised".  Am I justified in thinking this ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 21

No, you are not justified in thinking a cap has been put in place. You are justified in calling in and insisting on an engineer attending. Do not take no for an answer.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

@pippincp, exactly. I didn't say he couldn't get an engineer visit. LOL!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 21

@Techwizz wrote:
@pippincp, exactly. I didn't say he couldn't get an engineer visit. LOL!

I didn't say you did but you did say he was syncing above handback which he isn't.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Hi Guy's keep it friendly and on topic.

@MAPPER is it possible for you to connect the hub to the test socket without using such a long phone cable by moving the hub closer to the socket. This is just for testing purposes to rule the internal cabling that out as it could be causing the loss in speed.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
MAPPER
Beginner
Message 18 of 21

Hello NeilO

I did try putting the Hub near the main BT test socket, but  could not sensibly  link my PC to Hub by wire (ethernet) as I would need a 20m ethernet cable. But I did get a strong WiFi connection with speed very similar to speed using long phone cable. Almost everything I have tried gives speed of 18.5 to 19.6. Not too surprising , I now know, since BT reports ( BT wholesale speed check and hub stats ) say max D/L speed is about 20 Mbps ! Others here have suggested I have an engineer visit - but it would then be cheaper to move to Virgin fibre !!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

you keep mentioning download speed but any speeds quoted by BT and the dslchecker are connection speeds not download speeds

The ideal test would be for pc to be connected directly to a filter in the test socket with an ethernet cable  if connection speed in hub still low as is showing now then certainly need engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

@pippincp, what's confusing is he posted two sets of results. One with a handback of 24 and one 18.
0 Ratings