cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cw81
Message 1 of 5

Safety of DSLAM cabinets

Hi there,

I'm a little concerned about a new DSLAM cabinet which has recently been installed in my area. I understand they have a higher voltage than other cabinets. Someone I know believes that there is a chance that the cabinet could occasionally become live if disturbed by other works in the area of the cabinet. That being the case, if someone was to walk past and touch the cabinet, I understand there is a chance they could receive an electric shock which is a major health and safety issue.  

Can anyone confirm if this sounds correct? I'm hoping it's not to be honest but if there is even a slim chance of the general public receiving electric shocks by touching these then obviously they need relocating so they are away from the general public.

Thanks,

Craig.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Safety of DSLAM cabinets

Utter nonsense.

0 Ratings
cw81
Message 3 of 5

That was my first thought too but just wanted to check as it's obviously a major safety issue if true!  If there is someone reading this who knows about the DSLAM cabinets can you please confirm if you believe they could become live?

Thanks,

Craig.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

All external cabinets which have a mains feed, are protected by an RCD which will disconnect the supply if there is any difference between the current flow on the live and neutral supply. This is a requirement, and has always been the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

There is virtually no chance of a cabinet becoming live, as the RCD is right on the incoming mains feed.

Its no unknown for these to accidentally trip out during problems with the local electricity supply. The cabinet will run on batteries for a short while, but manual intervention is then needed.

This also applies to cabinets owned by the mobile phone operators.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

This also applies to cabinets owned by the mobile phone operators.

And traffic light controls, sewage pumping station kiosks, etc, etc  etc.

0 Ratings