cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Same Cabinet for entire house, all neighbours 9mbit faster stay fast guarantee?

Dear BT Community,

First off, apologies if this is a common problem but I could not find a solution to this as of yet.
I have recently moved into a new flat (building is approximately 20 years old) and have moved my BT internet with me.
When calling up the Moving Home Hotline, I was slightly shocked to hear that my new connection will only manage a stay fast guarantee of 28Mb. This is about half the speed I was used to and is a bit meagre for three people living in the household. Having moved into the home, the previous tenant's internet was still on for the next two weeks (couldn't get an earlier internet moving date) and indeed showed a very similar speed, around 26-28Mb. (SKY)

chrum_1-1597686550730.png

Our BT line has now been moved over and indeed, sadly, we are also only getting those stay fast speeds, as added insult, only as a maximum. Usually it is more in the likes of 26Mb.

Interestingly, checking out the rest of the flats in the same building our neighbours are typically getting 37Mb stay fast with vastly faster max speeds.

chrum_2-1597686765254.png

Using the BT wholesale broadbandchecker I found out that all the neighbours and us are connected to the same exchange, Southside cabinet 16.

Again though, the speeds recorded for this flat seem significantly lower and half of what is reported on the broadbandchecker.

chrum_3-1597686907802.png

Speeds for the other flats in the house, same cabinet

chrum_4-1597686952188.png

I can understand if funny wiring and other things result in everybody getting half the speeds, some split of the cables, maximum capacity, etc, what I cannot understand is why this flat in particular is getting so much slower speeds than literally everyone else in this house and the houses next door.

We are plugged into the master socket but as the previous owners were getting the same speeds I don't think it is the flat that is doing this.

In case you needs this bit of information I have also attached the router readout.

chrum_5-1597687661559.png

I hope somebody can possibly help me understand whether this is a lost cause or whether this is indeed dodgy and I can possibly do something about it.

Thank you for your time!

With best wishes,
Michael

edit: typos

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Same Cabinet for entire house, all neighbours 9mbit faster stay fast guarantee?

Just because it says they could get those speeds it doesn’t mean they are.

Message 3 of 5

Re: Same Cabinet for entire house, all neighbours 9mbit faster stay fast guarantee?

As usual correct @Starwire  wouldn't expect anything else from you!  A phone number check would provide more info as there would be the last observed speed listed also.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Turns out, somehow our telephone line doesn't give a signal when you connect a handset to it but internet works. Got an engineer come in tomorrow. Maybe this was causing the issues. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Certainly will be, broadband will work very slowly with one wire disconnected but the phone won't.

0 Ratings