cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Shameless Money Making Scheme Openreach

During the Repair to the recent problems with Broadband Phone (Hanging Up Phone Reboots Router) the perfectly serviceable MK3 Master Socket was replaced with a MK4 master socket. Now the trick with this master socket is that you are no longer able to isolate the internal wiring from the line so you will not know if the fault is external or internal and you cannot run broadband with phone plunged into the test socket retrograde step apparently designed this way so the engineer does not require tools to install, (an engineer without tools what ever next). When the engineer comes to correct a fault then he just says it your wiring you owe us £129. The only thing you can do is break the internal wiring just before the master socket so if we get a call from my wife's disabled sister in the middle of the night we will miss the call.

My broadband service is all over the place with random dropouts with with reconnection well below guaranteed Broadband speed which is why I tried using the test sockt I will have to try the Test Socket with a filter with the phone and broadband as a pensioner I will have to think twice before agreeing to an engineer calling again.

Thanks All

Am I getting too old for this???
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Shameless Money Making Scheme Openreach

if engineer just fitted a new socket then should be this one which as you can see like all the recent master sockets does have a test socket   https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

can you post stats from your router please  did you try quiet line test to check for line noise?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thank You @imjollyf or your interest

The service was only repaired Friday gone by changing the pair between the distribution pole and the Street Cabinet. Yes the replacement Master Socket is the NTE5C with the MK 4 VDSL Filter the engineer did not explain the different configuration of the NTE5C with the MK 4 VDSL Master Socket it is a retrograde change. I do recognise that there is a test socket but it is not very apparent that when using the test socket that the internal wiring is disconnected from the line this is very clear in the Mk 3 Master Socket as the plate with the internal wiring is totally removed from the master socket another advantage of the MK 3 Master Socket is that for monitoring / diagnostic purposes the broadband can be used whilst the phone is plugged into the master socket which is a useful arrangement when trying to determine where the problem lies. If you wanted to create a similar arrangement with the NTE5C Master Socket you would need a plug in line filter that you know is working as it should. I note from the link you provided for NTE5C Master Socket that it say that the test socket behind the face plate is isolated from the internal wiring but as I said it is not very apparent when you physical look at the thing as the internal wiring is still attached to the master socket, it must be some mechanism between the front plate moulded in plug and the test socket that when the front plate is removed it cuts out the internal wiring. I still prefer the MK 3 arrangement it is more intuitive.

I am just monitoring things at the moment as presumable after the repair with the switch of the line pair the line was reset so the equipment at the exchange will be in learning mode for 10 days since Friday gone. When the broadband drops out and speed goes very low I reboot the Smart hub and generally the speed comes back to normal. I will just wait and see for the next few days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

sorry I don't agree that the new master is a retrograde step.  you now no longer need an tools to disconnect the faceplate nor do you need any tools to connect the incoming openreach wiring or any extension wiring  I am not sure how when you remove the faceplate from Mk4 and connect to the filter to the test that you can get your phone to work by connecting back to the disconnected faceplate

you should not need to manually reset the hub as you describe  constant manual reset will affect your connection speed eventually

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Tried Top Right for Edit Not Listed

If you wanted to create a similar arrangement with the NTE5C Master Socket you would need a plug in line filter that you know is working as it should and connect to the test Test Socket with phone and broadband cables attached. If you do not have a serviceable line filter you can not do it so a diagnostic option lost. 

Tools or no tools You should not do anything with the Openreach wiring. A screw driver and insertion tool are not difficult to use and an engineer should be more than competent to use these simple tools.

No discernible Noise on the line to my old tinnitus ears any way.

Minimum Guaranteed Speed  22Mbps

Screen Shot 06-07-18 at 04.23 PM.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I think you missed the point. Not requiring tools is to help the customer as not everyone has a screwdriver and an IDC tool and if the do may not be any good at using them. Whereas this way you  do not need any tools to take off the faceplate nor does the customer need any tools when they want to connect their extension sockets

i still don't know how you get ohone to work in mk4 faceplate if you have it disconnected and a filter in test socket when doing quiet line test or connecting hub to eliminate the internal wiring

stats show hub powered down 15 hrs ago and internet reset again 5 mins ago

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@OldGreyHair Am  I missing something here, the test socket in whatever Mk of NTE is a phone socket not an RJ11 so a filter will always be required in order to connect a home hub,  the phone can be connected directly. Removing the faceplate still disconnects the internal wiring as it passes through the faceplate although not connected to it.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

If you wanted to create a similar arrangement with the NTE5C Master Socket you would need a plug in line filter that you know is working as it should and connect to the test Test Socket with phone and broadband cables attached (The broadband and phone leads connected to the plug in filter and pluged into the test socket). If you do not have a serviceable line filter you can not do it so a diagnostic option lost. With the mMK 3 Master socket if the fault is intermittent then the broadband and phone connected to the test socket can be run in this configuration for some days to definitely rule out the internal wiring which you need to do before you commit to an engineers visit and what would be a substantial charge for a pensioner charge if you could not rule the internal wiring out.

Definitely a lot of dropped connections once the kids learn how to flip the face plate off the MK 4 master socket but not at my house.

When you remove the face plate of MK4 Master Socket which has the RJ11 socket for the lead from the Smart hub in the face plate the face plate also houses the built in filter then as the face plate is removed from the master socket the broadband is disconnected and only the phone test socket is available. In the MK 3 Master Socket with the broadband RJ11and built in filter at the top when you remove the face plate then only the front phone socket along with the connection to the internal wiring are disconnected the broadband socket and filter remain in place and the test socket is exposed to plug in the phone. In both the MK3 and The MK 4 Master Sockets each have built in filters so do not require filters.

No explanation or instructions were given or left by the engineer for the MK4 Socket.

The photo is after just one of the dropped connections not after a manual hub restart after the dropped connections which up to now has restored the speed to normal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

That is not the test socket, you need to also remove the middle part with the MK3 to reveal the true test socket behind, thus requiring a filter in order to convert the phone socket to an RJ11 plus phone sockets.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

test-socket-thumb.jpg

the test socket is shown by the black arrow  I thin you are connecting as @licquorice says to the middle section shown top right and not the actual test socket

0 Ratings