cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Sick and tired of Openreach DLM

Hi,

I’ve had BT for a month now and I’m having severe issues with the profile/frequency I’ve been put on.

When I joined BT, I was getting around 40mb down with 20-24ms ping and the line was fully rate adaptive and was still in the stabilisation period which is understandable. 

After 3 days, my speeds went up to 70mb and ping dropped to 6ms and I believe now my line is fully stabilised and no longer fully rate adaptive.

I am an avid online gamer and can truly say in the first 3 days where I was getting a ping of around 20-24ms, gaming was perfect; there was no lag, no delay and everything was really responsive with no issues. Nevertheless, as soon as the ping went down to 6ms and the line stabilised, online gaming has been dreadful. Everything feels so slow, delayed and unresponsive and it’s almost as if I’m being restricted by BT. 

I had an engineer come out and explained this issue to him but he said the line was perfect with no noise or errors and that it was strange that I was suffering from this considering the ping went down and speeds increased. He also was a gamer and let him play a few games to show him this issue and he agreed that this unplayable. The engineer replaced the master socket just to eliminate master socket faulty but the problem has continued to persist.

I use an Ethernet cable for gaming, I have 1 master socket with no extensions and I have only 3 devices connected to the router. I have tried different routers, modems, even different consoles and I’m still suffering from the same issue. 

This also isn’t due to gaming servers as I was having 0 issues whatsoever in the first 3 days. It wasn’t until my line ‘stabilised’ that I started getting this issue.

Please can someone advise on what to do? Is it possible to be switched to another profile or be put on a fully rate adaptive line again as the decrease in ping is clearly the root cause of this fault.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

DLM KEEPS CHANGING FREQUENCY WHEN PLAYING ONLINE

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

DLM keeps changing my frequency when I play online games. It makes it impossible to play as everything just becomes so unresponsive and slow.

why tf does DLM keep doing this when I’m playing online? I can literally feel DLM kicking in and doing it’s useless job because my game will freeze for half a second and then it’s like I’m playing on a new DLM frequency and everything is so unresponsive. 

I’m genuinely getting sick and tired of this. Please can someone recommend what I should do regarding this because it’s so infuriating 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Re: DLM KEEPS CHANGING FREQUENCY WHEN PLAYING ONLINE

I don't know what you think DLM does but it does not do what you say is happening when you play games.

See link about DLM and in particular the part where it states that it does not "work on the fly". ie it does not just kick in.

FTTC DLM - What it is & How it works - Plusnet Community

::. Kitz - DLM System .::

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

This is a difficult one, because essentially there is a number of items between you and the internet that could cause the problem.

So, first, post your stats page from the router
Describe the basic setup (which I think is, Socket>ethernet>HUB>ethernet>Computer

Are you using the BT provided hub ?

Do you have QOS turned on anywhere ?

Can you borrow someones none BT VDSL modem & router who knows how to set it up for a BT line.

Have you tried it with everything else disconnected ?

It is strange that all the stats you have posted look good, almost as if when the speed went up, it started overwhelming your internal network, which would be odd on a VDLS connection.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

It’s definitely down to the green cabinet. I’ve only got 3 devices connected to my router and even without anything connected, it’s still unplayable.

I’ve tried other routers and other modems (both bt and non bt) and the same issue occurs.

Your guess is as good as mine. It makes no sense that when the speed goes up and ping goes down that I get issues but with lower speed and higher ping no issues. 

i know it’s 100% down to the line stabilising and being put on this ‘profile’ by the dlm.

I’ve heard people say there are ways of ‘tricking’ DLM so that it doesn’t work but no idea how to go about this.

my set up is NTE5C master socket > Ethernet > VDSL router > Ethernet to ps5

It’s frustrating to know that my line is capable of playing online games normally, but because of this line stabilisation I’m having this issue. 

Please please please help 😭

5A84AE8B-0826-44B3-A0B7-C5969CBBC8AF.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Sorry, I have no idea what is causing your problem but I can assure you that the one thing that it isn't is DLM, whatever you may think.

Message 7 of 22

Okay so please tell me the name of the system/technology that stabilises my line after 3 days?

Because I’ve been having this issue from the moment my line was ‘stabilised’.

So clearly whatever trigger or system in place that caused my speed to go up is clearly the reason why I’m having this issue.

I’ve been on Vodafone and Sky before joining BT and the exact same thing happened; line ‘stabilises’ after 3 days, ping goes down, speed goes up and gaming just becomes unresponsive, slow and out of sync.

I’m only on BT because an openreach engineer recommended I try out BT since they have majority of the green cabinet but here I am still stuck with the same problem.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/DLM/td-p/1702344/page/2 have a look at this thread. Sounds very similar to my issue.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

@Daniel92 

You state socket -> ethernet -> router . Do you really mean that or do you just mean hardwired by the supplied cable?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Re: Sick and tired of Openreach DLM

You need to try running PingPlotter which will help to show an issue if there is one there. 
There’s a free version and just keep to default settings. 
Once you have tried this and do try to saturate your line as well during testing it may help uncover your issues.