Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Signal attenuation

Go to solution

Hi, in the technical log on my hh6 router the signal attenuation box has always been blank, but today for the first time I have noticed that it has a reading of     0db / 15.3db.

Could anyone explain what these readings mean and maybe explain why there has never been any information for signal attenuation before.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Signal attenuation

Go to solution

has your hub had a firmware update recently?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi yes on the 2nd of June. 

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Wondered about this myself, mine is reading  0 dB / 10.9 dB . Thought i hadn't seen it before. I also had a firmware update 12 days ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

~ What is the difference between Line Attenuation and Signal Attenuation?

Routers that display two sets of attenuation figures are usually reporting the Signal Attenuation and Line Attenuation.   In these cases it can be taken to mean:-

• Line (or Loop) Attenuation is an average of all the tones available for use in the relevant dsl spectrum - regardless of if the tones are in use or not.
    Loop attenuation is calculated during the transceiver training phase of the initialisation process and is an estimation of the line attenuation averaged through all the upstream or downstream subcarriers.
  • Signal Attenuation is monitored and reported as an ongoing process and can sometimes be affected by ongoing changes in line conditions. Calculation is performed as the difference between the power transmitted at the far end and the power received at the near end.
    Signal attenuation is based an average of the frequency bins in use during showtime and therefore it is not considered unusual if Signal attenuation is slightly lower than Line attenuation.
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the explanation 

0 Ratings
billybigbutt
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution