cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cyrano
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Slow BT Infinity - that old chestnut

So.....new flat, two months in and getting average service. That certainly seems to be more than some people here are getting and grateful for that at least. What is frustrating for myself is that I have a relative who lives on the same street not ten doors away who gets at least twice the speed I get. BT are unhelpful: spoken to two supposed support staff who's only suggestions were to unplug everything and reset the devices. The last sugestion was to unplug the cat5 from my computer and the hub and plug it back in with the cable the opposite way round (i.e, comp end in hub, hub end in comp)...god knows what that's supposed to achieve. Screenshot of my details below:

my speed.jpg

And my relatives speed:

temp.jpg

For general info this is not a heavily populated street and my house is, as far as I know, nearer the cabinet. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Cyrano

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Slow BT Infinity - that old chestnut

the problem is you may be closer to the cabinet but it depends on how the cable is routed to the cabinet they do not always follow the shortest routes
0 Ratings
Cyrano
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Ok, but that seems really bad practise. Is it simply a case of new tech piled on old tech or a lack of planning when cabling was originally laid?

Cyrano

0 Ratings
dazzarfc12
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

10 doors away could change things alot with fibre its crazy how it works mateSmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

the FTTC service uses the copper pair from your home to the cabinet depending on the age of the property you could be on a line that was laid 20 years + ago before even dial up and ADSL was about you need to remember that lines were only originally laid for a voice service
0 Ratings