Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Slow Broad Band Speed

HI 

Having moved to BT Infinity from TalkTalk (one problem being slow broadband speeds) i now find myself in the same position with BT. When first connected (July/August 17) i was getting download speeds of circa 21-22 mb/s. Now i am back down to 11-13 mb/s. I have run the tests as suggested by the BT onlone speed checker and there does not seem to be a problem with the network outside of the house, so i can pay for an engineer to come and have a look if i want to?

If i have not changed anything and the speeds are now slowing down - then why would i pay for an engineer? My phone is plugged into the master socket, with filter. I do not use extension leads.

When i had the issue with Talk Talk an engineer came out and found a junction box (outside) full of water. He pumped this out and voila - my speed increased all be it only for a temporary period.

We have had a lot of rain recently - i do not want to pay for an engineer to come round and find nothing wrong with my set up internally - how can i go about getting a more though check of the network/system outside of my house - ie checking junction boxes for water ingress?

Regards

John

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Slow Broad Band Speed

can you post stats from your router if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

have you tried using test socket with a filter to eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 38

Hi, here are my router settings

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

02-Aug-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 43 Minutes 32 Seconds

Data rate:

799 Kbps / 15.78 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1640 / 16205

Noise margin:

11.1 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:

31.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

103 MB Uploaded / 2165 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-HT9R

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-HT9R

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:24:86:AD

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

The DSL uptime is due to me restarting the router recently. The speeds i get are roughly the same either via wifi or direct ethernet link from a computer. There is no difference between the master socket and normal plug/socket connections.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 38

Can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 38

Hi imjolly

i will upload this soon although i have a question regarding the information i have already posoted. What does the "Maximum Data Rate" figure actually mean? Its currently set to 16.205 Mbps. If this is, as i understand it, the maximum rate of data transfer then regardless of what further tests i do the rate will not exceed 16.205 Mbps. When i first joined BT i could get circa 22 and that would be either wirelessly or through an ethernet connected PC.

Is this figure automatically configured? If so why would it change? I have had a very stable connection since installation, ive not experienced any drop outs to my knowledge.

Apologies if i have the wrong end of the stick

John

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 38

max rate is the best speed your line can handle and your connection speed will in most cases be slightly lower.  the speed is set by the way your connection is a present but many find making improvements in the home regarding connection can improves the speed  

noise on the line will reduce your speed hence why important to check quiet line test  connecting to test socket with a filter eliminates any problems caused by internal wiring and again can lead to improve connection speed

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 38

BB Speed.jpgHi, as requested plugged into test socket through a filter

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 38

did you try quiet line test?  any noise on your line is a problem for broadband  if as you say there may be water ingress then your phone line is probably noisy

are you using the test socket (with filter) which is behind the bottom half of NTE5 this will eliminate any problems with faceplate and your internal wiring

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Hi

Yes, quiet line test is quiet and yes, plugged into test socket, with front, bottom half of master socket cover removed and into the filter as supplied by BT with the router

Regards

John

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

Hi

Any thoughts then on the potential issue? My interpretation is that, on a good day i should get 24 (download) and on a really bad day 6 (download). When i first signed up with BT i could get 22 (download) and now i only get 13 (download). Before moving to BT the "speed check" said i should get a minimu of 17.  This tells me i have the potential to go back to 22 and something is preventing that. I have not changed anything within my house (apart from the fact that i have removed the cover of the master socket and plugged my filter into the test socket - and there it shall remain for the forseeable future to prevent me having to keep unplugging everytime i need to check or test something). A friend who lives half a dozen doors up from me, on the same street and on the same side can get anything around the 28-30 mark and has the same package as me?

Regards

John

0 Ratings