Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 38

Re: Slow Broad Band Speed

before reporting a phone fault have you tried replacing the filter and even trying a corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 38

Hi imjolly

I do not have a corded phone im afraid, however i had previously done a couple of "quiet line" tests a few days ago as this was linked to my observations of reduced fibre broadband speed. It has been ok however yesterday was awful. I have not changed anything and everything in the house is static. I woke up this morning to find my router with a solid orange light, i was about to switch it on/off when it started to flash purple. I left it flashing purple for 10 mins or so and nothing changed, i switched it off/on. The light then went green and back to flashing purple - i then had to go to work.

Regards

John

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 38

Then you need to report it as a noisy phone line, not a broadband fault. The broadband will get better once the noisy line is fixed.

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 38

Hi Keith

I have random but repeated issues over the last few days with losing internet connections completely. I get a steady orange light, it then flashes orange, it then flashes purple - sometimes it goes steady blue and sometimes it goes back to flashing orange before flashing purple.

This morning it did exactly that, i would say it took about 5 repititions of flashing orange to flashing purple, to flashing orange etc before it went to steady blue. Having changed to steady blue i ran a speed test. 7 meg download!

(reminder that im on fibre - not regular broadband here)

The speed test is through an ethernet connected pc with the router plugged into a filter and the filter is plugged into the master test socket. The filter is the BT supplied filter (which is about 5 to 6 months old im guessing) and the "RJ11" cable is also the cable supplied by BT at the time of taking up the new BT contract from TalkTalk. All of the BT supplied equipment is being used and plugged directly into the master test socket.

I then ran the online test facility through the BT website (again). This time it said that it had found a problem. It ran the phoneline test and said that was ok. It ran the network test and said that was ok - so it told me there was a problem but then tells me the line and network are ok? I went through the rest of the process (switching off and on, test socket etc.) and got to the stage where it said an engineer needs to come and visit. I now have an appointment booked for Monday morning.

Ill update the post following the engineer visit on monday.

John

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 38

Hi 

Just walked up to the shop and saw this on the grass verge about 40 yards up the road from me. This is on the same side of road as me:

IMG_0482.JPG

I dont know if this is something in use - it could be empty. If its not used its dangerous as someone could step on this and severely cut their leg. If it is used then without doubt its letting in water when it rains.

I dont know the significance of this, but im sure its not meant to look like this regardless of whats inside it.

John

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 38

I doubt it is relevant to your problem, but needs reporting for safety reasons.

From the Openreach website

I want to report damage to your equipment or network. How can I do that?

If you notice damage to any part of our network, or you’ve seen something that could be a risk to public safety, please get in touch with us as soon as you can. Call us on 0800 023 2023 and choose option 1.

What counts as damage?

• Broken or missing manhole covers
• Telephone poles that have fallen down
• Loose cables or cables dangling from telephone poles.
• Street cabinets that have been affected by flooding, or obviously vandalised or   damaged (including graffiti).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 38

Please report it to Openreach as a matter of urgency.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellus.do

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 38

Hi

Latest update. Engineer has been and gone. He knocked the door but did not need to come in as he'd already found the problem - to do with the cable from my house to the junction box. turns out that one pair of cables (im going to assume twisted pair) could not be used so he has changed them for a different (twisted) pair. He went on to say that there is water within the box and as quickly as he gets rid of the water it fills back up again. His parting comments werer "give it a while for it to settle down, it should be ok but if not give us a call".

Can i ask for the Mods to step in here and escalate this please? The first post i wrote on this thread i mentioned the fact that an engineer had come out and found water in a junction box. Ive now had an engineer saying that as fast as he removes the water  it comes back in. Here's a thought - fix the JB such that water cannot leak into it! I may not be the only person who is suffereing with problems in my street or whomever is also connected within the effected JB but surely knowing there is water ingress into a JB and simply swapping over a couple of wires is not fixing the problem? How many times am i going to have to put up with random disconnects, poor quality land line and slow internet speeds?

I have to say this is baffling me - surely this cannot be a cost effective way of fault remediation and providing the customer with great service?

Ill do some speed tests tonight and see how i get on, but please just fix the issue with water ingress.

John

0 Ratings