cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Slow Broadband in evenings

Hi there

Need help please.

My broadband speed gradually slows down from about 7pm.

I have FTTC and normally get about 65-70Mbps download during the day. Just noticed in the last week or so that the speed gradually drops in the evening. On 14th April the lowest speed I recorded was 29.5Mbps at 22.00 hrs. After that the speed gradually increased. By 23.00 hrs it was at 41.8Mbps. Didn’t do any more checks after 23.00 hrs.

At some time during the night it goes back to normal.

There is no noise on a quiet line test.

I have ran speedtests using the BTW performance tester morning and evening and uploaded the results.

All results are using a wired connection from Smart Hub to a desktop PC.

My next door neighbour is having the same problem.

D1.jpgE1.jpgG1.jpg

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow Broadband in evenings

Looks possibly like  a hot SVLAN at the exchange. BTWholesale should be aware of it and in the process of resolving.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the reply pippincp. Will anybody be checking to see if there are any known issues at the exchange that could be causing the problem?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

BTWholesale have automatic monitoring in place which will report congestion.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

If no congestion is reported and I still have slow broadband speeds in evening what happens then?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

If the cause of your problem is congestion, as seems likely, it could take several weeks to resolve depending on what extra infrastructure is required.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

How do I find out if congestion is the problem?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

There isn't any way to find out, however you have classic congestion symptoms, unchanging sync speed but low download speed at peak times. The BT helpdesk  won't have access to SVLAN utilisation details.

I will ask if the mods are aware of any hot SVLANS on your exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hi @trekex9,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry if you're seeing a low down in the evening. If you send me your details, I'll be able to run a few checks on the line and check the network for congestion.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thanks for the replies licquorice. I have been contacted by PaddyB.

0 Ratings