Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewss
Message 1 of 3

Slow Broadband on Fibre Optic

Go to solution

Hello everyone

As the title states, Ive recently had my internet download speed plummet over the last maybe 3 weeks or so. My BT package is: Unlimited Broadband Infinity 1 with up to 52mbps. 

I took out this package when I moved in to this place in oct2016 and it was absolutely perfect up until a few weeks ago, and I mean insanely good, I was hitting 50+ mbs all the time. Even some of my friends (who are coders/programmers) commented on how fast the internet was, they just couldnt believe it. Im a gamer in my private time. I stream games myself, watch other streamers etc, so I get through my fair share of bandwidth. 

All of a sudden my speed has crashed. It tops out at 6.5mbps now and has been this way for about 3 weeks. I have run all sorts of tests on my cpu but I dont think the issue is my end. I have had friends bring their cpus over to test their speed and they get the same numbers, so Im pretty sure the issue isn't with my PC. I dont download anything apart from games via battle.net. I dont download music, programmes, nothing. My PC is solely for one purpose; gaming. 

A month ago I could have music playing on youtube, be watching a stream, whilst streaming myself and playing StarCraft for example. And I had no problems whatsoever. Now, I cant even stream + play at the same time because I get horrendous lag. Its basically one or the other. My CPU cant even play music from spotify whilst Im gaming. Its abysmal. 

So I came to the conclusion that BT have slowed me internet speed down. Probably because I use too much bandwidth. I mean, thats why I signed up for the infinity package. It seems to be the only logical solution. So today I decided to call the BT customer service line and was, as you would expect, shocked when the chap's advice of resetting the router didnt work. They ran some generic tests their end and wouldnt you know it, apparently Im still receiving my 50+ mbps speeds that Im paying a whopping £36pm for. Only the problem is, Im clearly not receiving anywhere near those speeds. Ive run several different speed tests and they all top out at 6.8mbps. BT offered to have an engineer video call me to dianose the issue but that was over an hour ago and so far I havent had a callback, even though I was told they'd call me immediately. 

Can anyone help me at all? To make it clear I have changed nothing with my set up. Its exactly the same as it was the day I got this place 18 months ago. Im connected via an ethernet cable so no Wi-Fi issues whatsoever. The problem as far as I can see is Im simply getting less bandwidth coming into my line. Im not too learned in the science of computers; Ive done some basic coding but thats about it. I really have no idea how to fix this issue, but Im stuck in this contract with BT for another 6 months. Am I supposed to just suck it up and pay £36/pm for this?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Slow Broadband on Fibre Optic

Go to solution

post stats from router   if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be with wired connection and preferably not firefox better edge/IE

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
matthewss
Message 3 of 3

Re: Slow Broadband on Fibre Optic

Go to solution
So I ran the test on btspeedtest and it said my internet speed was 7.2mbps.

I then unplugged my phone line and plugged it back in and voila! Im back to 72mbps.... Can you explain how that happened?
0 Ratings